Issues With My Dobord

Baking By devorie Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 3:59am by retaunton

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:06am
post #1 of 11

Hi All,

I am having a problem with my Dobord that I hope someone can help me with. As those of you that have the Dobord know, it is made out of wood. As such, it cannot be cleaned thoroughly with water because water and wood and not exactly a match made in heaven icon_smile.gif.

Every time that I use my Dobord I dust it off afterwards and then put it away. The last time I used the Dobord was about three months ago (sad, I know) and when I took it out a couple of days ago there were these little brown bugs* (I think that they are flour beetles) and larvae were all over the inside track. I tried washing the Dobord with hot soapy water. I took it out again tonight and it was full of those little bugs again. I just poured boiled hot water down the tracks but I'm hesitant to use the Dobord now as I'm afraid that there are still bugs in it.

My husband suggested that I put the Dobord into the oven on a low heat (he says 125 for about 45 minutes) but I'm afraid that it will ruin the board. Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, how do I treat it without ruining the board. Also, how do I make sure that this doesn't happen again?

TIA,

Devorie

* We did have an issue with those bugs all over the pantry and I had thought that I found the source - a container of barley that was not properly sealed - but never saw larvae until now.

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 11

I always wash and dry mine immediately. I remember reading with the initial paperwork that you are supposed to paint some kind of clear stain (FDA approved) on your Dobord, every 6 months or so, to keep the board in working condition. I haven't done that yet. But the last time that I used it, I noticed that I need to get that stuff and paint it on.

Hope this helps! And that you get rid of the bugs!

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 11

Question.... what is a dobord? Is it a dough board that you roll out your cookie dough? I am curious because I do a lot of cookies and have just always used a washed and cleaned table to work on. What is advantage of it???
Thanks

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:44am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsugarqueen

Question.... what is a dobord? Is it a dough board that you roll out your cookie dough? I am curious because I do a lot of cookies and have just always used a washed and cleaned table to work on. What is advantage of it???
Thanks

http://www.armchair.com/store/gourmet/baking/rollingpin.html

I like mine -- I've recommended it to a few people and they like it too. I still place my dough between a long folded over sheet of wax paper on the dobord though -- eliminates a lot of the flour mess.

KitchenConvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenConvert Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 11

cylstrial, if you find out the name of a clear stain that is FDA approved, would you re-post here? Did they offer any suggested brands with your initial paperwork, and where can they be bought? (e.g., regular Home Depot, or online specialty store?)

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 11

i have been reading a few posts on here of grain bugs you can bring home from the store. I think they are weevils. I have no clue what they look like but from reading they say they spread into all your dry goods like wild fire and burrow through packaging. Some one said they sifted flour and found larvae. I have sifted ever dry ingredient since. The remedy was to toss everything open and or leaking (as a result of the bugs burrowing) and an extensive cleaning with bleach. Good luck!!

cylstrial Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenConvert

cylstrial, if you find out the name of a clear stain that is FDA approved, would you re-post here? Did they offer any suggested brands with your initial paperwork, and where can they be bought? (e.g., regular Home Depot, or online specialty store?)

Yes, I will let you know. I'm pretty sure that I found some at Home Depot or Menards. But it's been a while and I never bought it, so I don't remember the name or anything. But I will check. I know there are a lot of other people who have Dobords on here. Maybe they will chime in and say what they use.

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 11

To the Op, I don't know how expensive your board is, but I would seriously consider trashing the bug infested one. I would be creeped out knowing I ate cookies off a wood board that had bugs (but I get creeped out by anything bug related and yes I know the FDA allows so many bug parts and stuff in processed food...gag). icon_smile.gif

As for the clear oil, my wood cutting board called for clear mineral oil to be rubbed in, so I'm wondering if thats it. Suposedly you can find it in the housewares section of major stores, but I have yet to find it. So if you do will ya let me know? LOL HTH

cylstrial Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 11

I finally got my dobord out and looked at the original paperwork that came in. As Molly said, it calls for oil to be rubbed into it. Mine specifically said to use wood oil. But they listed a phone number for questions, so I thought that I would post that here. I know I have to go and get some asap.

This is straight from my dobord paper -
"Cleaning and Care: Wash by HAND after each use and towel dry. Wipe with wood oil about every 3 months". Questions, replacements, repairs: 888-219-9191.

LisafromArmchairWorld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisafromArmchairWorld Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:45am
post #10 of 11

Hi,

Here are the instructions for cleaning and care of your dobord:
Wash BY HAND after each use and towel dry. Wipe with wood oil about every 3 months.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:59am
post #11 of 11

My sister use to get those bugs and they come in the food from your grocery store. She had to put everything that came in a cardboard box in a ziploc bag before she put it in the pantry. Even if the inside contents of the bags were in sealed packages. They are in the cardboard. According to the pest control guy that game to her house they are attracted to the glue used to seal the cardboard boxes. I would call the grocery store where you buy your food and let them know what you are experiencing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%