Cake Dummies Used To Make Actual Cake Appear Bigger?

Decorating By CakelynsFinest Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 12:36am by pood

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:10am
post #1 of 9

I would like to use a cake dummy for a cake to make it look larger. Let's say I want to do a 4 tiered cake 12,10,8,6 - can I use the bottom tier as a dummy or should it be towards the top?

8 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:26am
post #2 of 9

Dummies, if treated properly, are very good at bearing weight. I used a 2" dummy as a separator for the wedding cake in my gallery, and it held the other three tiers very nicely. I put a cakeboard on either side of the dummy, so the dowels wouldn't punch through the styrofoam and lose support.

If I were to make this cake with one of the tiers as a dummy, I would consider making the top or second tier down as a dummy. I would be afraid of the cake becoming top-heavy.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

donnlara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnlara Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:51am
post #3 of 9

I've done this on several wedding cakes when the brides wanted dramatic heighth for their cakes, but didn't need that much actual cake. In both cases I used 4" high cake dummies topped with 2 layers of cake for each of the tiers. Worked out just for both cakes.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:01am
post #4 of 9

I am no expert, but I believe you can do either way. It just depends on how many servings you need. HTH

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 9

I have used dummies for all the different sections of a cake. I had one that was a 10 then a 6 inch dummy, an 8 then a 4 inch dummy then a 6 inch top. Looked wonderful and gave the impression of a huge cake. I have used dummies for the bottoms for the tops and for the middles and they work just fine in all positions. The only thing to remember is that if you are going to use a center dowel you will want to predrill the hole thru the dummy then stack your layers over the center dowel. Also, remember to dowel the cake under the dummy if you will be placing another real layer on top of the dummy. It helps to hold the weight for the lower tiers. For instance, if you were going to do a 12 inch real cake then a 10 inch dummy then a 8 inch real cake you would want to dowel the 12 inch real cake just like you would if the 8 inch was going to sit right on top of it.

HTH Cat

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 9

Wow, thanks everyone! Very helpful info!

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:25am
post #7 of 9

I will be using a 10' dummy for one of the layers in an upcoming cake. The layers on top of the dummy will be 8' and 6'. Do I need to put dowels in the 10' dummy or will it support the weight of the other two layers? I have never used a dummy before and any tips would be appreciated. Do I need to do anything to the dummy before I frost it? I will be using cream cheese frosting.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:29am
post #8 of 9

it will support the weight of the other 2 cakes justfine but you'll want to dowel the 8" cake like normal of course!

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:36am
post #9 of 9

KHalstead thank you for your quick response! Do I need to do anything to the dummy to make it ready to frost or just frost the way it is, plain styrofoam?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%