Gold Frosting For Piping

Decorating By wilgon1 Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 5:12am by sarascakecreations

wilgon1 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 12:23am
post #1 of 10

how can I make gold frosting to pipe on a cake

9 replies
zespri Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:00am
post #2 of 10

I believe you can only make it as close to gold as you can with regular colouring, then use some vodka mixed with lustre dust to paint it. My research has brought up no better solution, everybody tells me you can't really make icing gold, you have to paint it.

wilgon1 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:30am
post #3 of 10

Wow I really need to pipe some decoration on the fondant of a wedding cake....help

icer101 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:54am
post #4 of 10

Hi, this is from Roland Winbeckler's flower book. He says to start with bright yellow icing. then add a small amount of red icing, then still a smaller amount of blue icing. Icing is the key word. make some yellow icing , some red icing and some blue icing. I have made it many times. then americolor comes out with gold gel. Nothing like it. beautiful gold icing . if you don,t have americolor now and i don,t think you do. please do as i have posted. hth

icer101 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:56am
post #5 of 10
wilgon1 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 1:07am
post #6 of 10

I cant open that site be
cause it is blocked

sarascakecreations Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:44am
post #7 of 10

sorry I don't mean to hyjack this post.... but I also have a question, I've never used ameircolor but I want to try it and at my local cake supplier I see they have americolor.... so to get a nice gold color should I use the one called "gold" (which looks very yellowish/tan) OR use the one called "copper (fleshtone)" which looks alot closer to gold to me?

help! I want to order it to use it next week.

icer101 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:50am
post #8 of 10

Hi, yes, buy the one that says gold. Beautiful gold color for b/c icing , fondant , etc. . As always , use little a the time until you achieve the color you need. I LOVE IT!!!

zespri Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:52am
post #9 of 10

Hi Sara - the colour on the top is the darkest that colour will get, and in my experience it can be difficult to achieve that depth of colour even with a lot of gel. So if you use copper, you'd have to use a heap of it to get anything close to the picture. If I were you I'd stick with the one labelled gold. Or buy both and experiment with mixing them!

sarascakecreations Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:12am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone! I'm off to order both teehee!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%