How Do I Press Sprinkles On The Bottom Of A Cake?

Decorating By zespri Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 12:29am by Bluehue

zespri Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking at a photo of a cake in the Whimsical Bakehouse, and it has a kind of border along the bottom made o ut of sprinkles, almost like you would wrap a ribbon around a cake. They don't explain how to get the sprinkles on there.

So how would I press the sprinkles into a dense ribbon, with a neat edge? Is there a method for this?

6 replies
sgirvan Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 7

because I can't see the picture you are talking about, I can only speak from my experiance of sprinkles.
When I have applies sprinkles or sanding sugar to the boarder of a cake, I brush where I want them with some water, i get my finger or two a little wet and dip it in the sprinkles then pat it on the side of the cake I want them to be, the wetness where I brushed the cake with water causes the sparkles to come off my finger and onto the cake.

brincess_b Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 7

i would imagine just apply bc (maybe piping gel would work?) neatly. use spoon/ hand/ whatever works to apply sprinkles and gently press on. i would pour sprinkles in a bowl to work with, hold cake over a big tray/ plate to catch the extras - you need to be fairly generous when applying to not miss bits! let set up a bit, then get the loose ones at the edge of the 'ribbon'.
same idea as nuts on teh side of carrot cake etc really.

zespri Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 7

thanks so much ladies, that seems pretty obvious now you say it... wet the areas I want to stick and throw the sprinkles at it... easy! (I hope). I just bought a jar of sprinkles, hope there is enough. It's going onto a cake glazed with chocolate, I would probably have to brush on some more melted chocolate..... yes? Rather than water...?

Bluehue Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 12:18am
post #5 of 7

If you didn't want to add anymore chocolate you could just use a pasty brush and dip it in sugar syrup - and then pat/throw the sprinkles on.

That way your not adding anymore extra width to the bottom of the cake.

Or you could use a watered down jam glaze - the sprinkles would stick to that well.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

zespri Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 12:21am
post #6 of 7

good thinking batman!

Bluehue Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 12:29am
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by zespri

good thinking batman!

LOLLL @ Batman

I only ever use sugar syrup when attacHing things to all my cakes.

Also i was thinking that if any fall off - you can reuse them as they won't have chocolate on them - but still look clean (iykwim) and fresh to re use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%