Odd.

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 1:29pm by Getus

Kitagrl Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 12

Made some icing today using powdered sugar, evaporated milk, Sweetex, unsalted butter, and vanilla. (Strange recipe, I know....)

Anyway while icing a cake I found a few random pieces that looked like a small lump of unmixed shortening. Weird, because my shortening was pretty soft today. I don't know how it could have been shortening.

I picked a few out and it seemed waxy...almost like a soft edible wax. No flavor, not offensive...but didn't really melt...I could rub it away in my fingers but if I put it in my mouth, it didn't necessarily melt. It was not hard, but fairly soft.

There wasn't enough to really worry about....any small lumps under the fondant are going to be left behind with the fondant OR eaten along with the cake.

But I wish I could figure out what it is!!!! My only guess is something in the Sweetex (its a fairly new case...only used it for two cakes, but this is the first time I've noticed it, today.)

Oh well.

11 replies
kaat Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:06am
post #2 of 12

I've had that happen before and it was my butter. My shortening was really soft and my butter wasn't and it just didn't mix properly.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:56am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

I've had that happen before and it was my butter. My shortening was really soft and my butter wasn't and it just didn't mix properly.

Hmmm I don't think it was butter....? The tiny pieces were colorless and butter would have melted in my mouth more....thanks though!

CakesByJen2 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:06am
post #4 of 12

I've had that happen a couple of times, and never could figure out what it was coming from for sure, either. I was using crisco and unsalted butter.

icer101 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:13am
post #5 of 12

can,t imagine what is was, but your recipe isn,t strange . I see it alot over the internet. I,ve had a recipe like that for 16 yrs. Got it from frances kuyper.(the cake lady) It is very good tasting. I saw it on this site also. i am sure it will be fine on your cake.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:17am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

can,t imagine what is was, but your recipe isn,t strange . I see it alot over the internet. I,ve had a recipe like that for 16 yrs. Got it from frances kuyper.(the cake lady) It is very good tasting. I saw it on this site also. i am sure it will be fine on your cake.

Yeah I've posted it on here. icon_smile.gif I don't particularly care for it myself but I use it for my customers who do not like sweet icings.

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:34am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Got it from frances kuyper.(the cake lady)

I heard she's passed on. May she rest in peace. I wrote e-mails to her for a few years, when she moved into assisted living, and before I went on my quest to buy a house. We didn't write for a while, then a few months ago, Toba told me she was gone. I miss her, and wish I would have kept up my correspondence with her.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

simplysouthern Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:42am
post #8 of 12

Ok weird bc I had this happen with my MMF! I figured is done something wrong bc it was my 1st time making it. I didn't want to post and ask because I really thought it was something I had done. I'll be keeping track of this thread hoping for clues as what caused this!

simplysouthern Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:00am
post #9 of 12

Oops site has hiccups!

kpry Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #10 of 12

I used evaporated milk one time in place of creamer and I got a lumpy gritty mess. I blamed the evaprorated milk, because I had never used it before.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 12

Hmm no my icing was very creamy...just had a very few scattered strange, white, waxy lumps....just a few.

Getus Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 12

I also make that icing anytime I don't want to use American Buttercream. Love this recipe...it's so easy. The last time I made it, I noticed a few of those lumps...and I blamed it on the shortening. So, I just simply cranked up the mixer speed and mixed another 10 mins...and whalah! No lumps what so ever. HTH. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%