Jelly Belly $10K Cupcake Challenge

Decorating By silverdragon997 Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 5:31pm by Lisa

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 15

This was emailed to me this morning. I thought I'd share in case anyone wants to give it a go!

http://jbcupcakechallenge.com/

14 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 15

I entered! Did anyone else? I'd love to see them.

aces413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aces413 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 15

Cool, thanks for posting! I could definitely use $10,000... icon_wink.gif

I would even be okay with the runner-up prize ("What's New, Cupcake" and a $100 Jelly Belly gift card)...I already have the book, so I could sell it...haha.

We have until July 10th to enter.

Time to put on my thinking cap! Hmmm....

EMonsalve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EMonsalve Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 15

Wow, thanks! I loved going to the Jelly Belly Factory as a kid and this is something I definitely want to do; now the hard part...what should I do? icon_confused.gif

Lisa Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 15

I think that's the hard part too! The judges are picking five finalists based on orginality/creativity, appeal, and use of Jelly Belly Beans. I've looked through the contest gallery, and it was hard to find something that wasn't already done.

EMonsalve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EMonsalve Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 15

Lisa I know what you mean. I've been looking at the submissions too and everything does seem to be taken; I'm getting a migrane just thinking this lol.

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give it a try!

Lisa Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 15

Also, if you don't have a discount store nearby that carries Jelly Bellies, I got mine on Amazon.

Kirkland-Signature-Jelly-Belly-Flavors

This flavor guide also helped me figure out what colors I needed.

Flavor Guide

Good luck!

la_Torta_Dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
la_Torta_Dulce Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 15

Did anyone notice some of the entries didn't use the jellybeans? And I wonder if it has to be a typical cupcake. Hmm... Thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

Lisa Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 15

I did notice that. In the FAQs, it says you can use other candy but, when picking the finalists, the judges are awarding 30 out of 100 points for use of Jelly Belly beans. I think not using them would exclude an entry.

Also, it doesn't look like it has to be a typical cupcake, just uses cupcakes or cake in a cup-type fashion. The inspiration page shows pound cake layered in glasses, and I've seen a few cupcake cakes that were really good.

http://jbcupcakechallenge.com/inspiration/

la_Torta_Dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
la_Torta_Dulce Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 15

I also looked through some of the comments and it seems people weren't submitting their own work so that narrows down the pool further. Thanks

Lisa Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 15

True. Some people just submitted pictures they found online. It's not well received as you probably read. The rules prohibit it, but this is just a gallery. From what I can tell, the pictures are only sorted to keep obscene material off the site.

There are also others who think the gallery voting is part of the contest. They lobby hard for their cupcake. It isn't. The judges pick the finalists based on the criteria mentioned earlier. It makes sense since a cupcake uploaded on the last day will have little to no votes. It's not until the 5 finalists are chosen in July that the public gets to vote for a winner.

The point is, don't sweat it if you upload a fabulous cupcake and someone gives you one out of five stars. It doesn't matter. My goal is to have fun, do my best, and see what happens.
icon_smile.gif

aces413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aces413 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm
post #13 of 15

Well said, Lisa! It's pretty frustrating--and disappointing--to see people "cheating" left and right. Oh well! I'm off to start practicing now... icon_smile.gif

Lisa Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 15

Yes it is, but it happens especially when $10,000 is on the line.

I've also learned that the gallery is filtered to remove trademarks other than Jelly Belly. Two of my entries were removed because I modeled them after Jelly Belly flavors, A&W Root Beer and Sunkist Orange Soda, thinking it'd be okay. Not okay I guess. I don't think they were winners, but I liked the idea. I'll post them in my photos.

Lisa Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:31pm
post #15 of 15

The finalists have been chosen by the judges! Vote for your favorite...

http://jbcupcakechallenge.com/vote/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%