Sheet Cake Baking Question

Lounge By texas_c Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 7:02pm by HeyWife

texas_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_c Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing a sheet cake and want half chocolate half white. Is it better to bake two seperate cakes and put them together or can I actually bake the two flavors together in the pan at the same time? Is there a trick to it?

Thanks a lot!

9 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 10

You could do either way but if you bake them separately make sure you have good support underneath the cake so that the seam won't show, put them together on the same board and ice as normal. I have done it that way and it works fine. HTH

oh it works if you are doing 2-9x 12's to make a 12 x 18.

texas_c Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks Cakeandpartygirl for your reply. I'm going to try baking both in the same pan and see how it works for me. If its not as easy as I want it to be I guess I will try it next time in seperate pans. Thanks!

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 10

just be careful, because with two separate batters it might bake weird. i know that my vanilla cake and chocolate cake bake differently and for different times. not sure how it would work in the same pan. but good luck, keep us updated on how it goes! icon_surprised.gif)

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 10

It is difficult to make both in the same pan unless you have a divider. I normally bake my separately especially because different cakes cook at different times. A white cake and chocolate cake have different recipes for me and take about a ten minute difference In time. Otherwise you may end up with one cooked and one under or over cooked

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 10

Here's a few threads and a video for you.

texas_c Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 10

I am baking the sheet cake as we speak and will see how it turns out. Thanks for all the help!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 10

When I do 2 flavors, I 'marble' the center 1/3 of the pan so they actually get 3 flavors of cake! I always tell them which direction the flavors go so they can 'cross cut' and get the 3 rather than going thru one at a time with the slices.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 10

Is your sheet cake a 2 layer? you could make one vanilla , the other chocolate. icon_smile.gif
CIAO

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 10

I just ordered a batter separator. Seems like a lot of people want two flavors but don't want to pay for two layers. Hoping it works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%