Ri Tiara Help

Decorating By staceyjoensen Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm by sweetcakesbyjen

staceyjoensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyjoensen Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:11am
post #1 of 12

My RI tiaras keep falling apart!! I'm making a bunch for my daughters 4th birthday for cupcakes and when I take them off the form, they fall apart. I got one good one out of 5 that I've done. It's soooo disheartening that I'm thinking of giving up, but I know that my daughter will really like them....any suggestions on making them stronger?

11 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 11:25am
post #2 of 12

are they going to be for eating? maybe do the royal icing with egg whites, I heard it dries harder.

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 12

Are you going over the tiara several times before taking it off whatever you are molding it around? I go over mine three times and let it dry completely before attempting to remove it. HTH!

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 12

How long are you letting them dry ? At least 12 hours?

MrsJuliette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsJuliette Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 12

I have not made the tiara yet but have made somethings w/royal icing.. the latest was some coral for a spongebob cake I made. I put them in a slightly warm oven and when I say slightly warm I mean turn oven on let it heat up for about 2 mins i guess then turn it off and put your tiaras in the oven and let them set til oven cools off. you don't want a hot oven you just need the dry heat. I did this twice to my coral since it was not completely set the first time. but it worked out well for me...HTH. I have plans to make a tiara for a baby shower cake due next weekend and I can't wait to try it and I will be putting mine in the oven... good luck icon_smile.gif

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 12

I did the same thing as well. Made about 5 tiaras out of RI and same thing. The last one only broke in two places and was easily fixed.

Learned my lesson......did three layers on the next tiara and actually liked it better. Definitely take your time and let it dry. It sat for 24 hours before I touched it again. No breakage at all.

Kimskakes23336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimskakes23336 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 12

My RI tiara stuck to the wax paper and only broke when I tried to forcibly peel it. I was thinking of coating the wax paper with a think coat of either cornstarch or lard. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:59am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimskakes23336

My RI tiara stuck to the wax paper and only broke when I tried to forcibly peel it. I was thinking of coating the wax paper with a think coat of either cornstarch or lard. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

If your RI is completely dry, the wax paper will peel right off. It's only when the RI is still wet that it clings to the paper. I suggest leaving it alone a little longer. If you're like me, that's hard to do. I don't have much patience when it comes to waiting for it to dry completely.

cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:11am
post #9 of 12

I've made a couple of royal icing tiaras and I agrees they are very tedius and are just a pain! Try doing them out of gum paste. I've seen several on this site from gum paste they look amazing and would be more durable I think.

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 12

I agree with previous posters... I've made a few before, and I did 3 layers to build it up and let it dry for atleast 12hrs!

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 12

I have to make a tiara for a cake coming up and I was just wondering when you make them do you tape your wax paper to a coffee can or something with that curve? If you do does the RI not run down the side of the can at all?

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliellen

I have to make a tiara for a cake coming up and I was just wondering when you make them do you tape your wax paper to a coffee can or something with that curve? If you do does the RI not run down the side of the can at all?

I used the large can of Quaker Oatmeal. You just need to determine how big you want it and find a cylinder that size, and yes, tape it to the can.
Your RI should be thick enough that it will not run when you pipe with it but not so thick it's hard to squeeze out. I just do a little test piece by placing a bit of icing in my bag and squeezing it out on my surface. If it needs some adjustments, I adjust then fill my bag. Plus, when you are piping, you will have the can turned upward so that you can see what you working on, so that helps it to not run. I hope that makes sense. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%