Has Anyone Used Wilton Cake Sparkles?

Sugar Work By motherofgrace Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 2:00pm by cakesrock

motherofgrace Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:47am
post #1 of 8

How would you stick them on? Im thinking of hard candy.

Are they worth it?

7 replies
reggiebakes Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:05am
post #2 of 8

They sprinkle on. Depending on what you are going for....you might just want to use disco dust. I bought lots of cake sprinkles when I was taking the Wilton Method classes and haven't used them since. It was demonstrated on royal icing flowers.

motherofgrace Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:17am
post #3 of 8

ok. I just heard (I forget who) someone say that disco dust isnt edible..... but I have seen cookies made with it

reggiebakes Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 8:08am
post #4 of 8

I'm only a hobby baker and have used disco dust on cookies and cupcakes. For Christmas I made melting snowmen cookies and cupcakes and used it to make the melting snow glisten. I know that there is edible glitter. I've seen it on different decorating supply sites. I have used the cake sprinkles on cookies. Just didn't really like how they altered the taste and they didn't stick very well.

motherofgrace Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 8:56am
post #5 of 8

ok, so disco dust is edible. And does that alter the taste?

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

ok, so disco dust is edible. And does that alter the taste?




No, disco dust is not edible. It is fine PLASTIC craft glitter that is non-toxic. It is for decoration only--to be used on items that will be removed before eating.

Given that lollipops are completely consumed, disco dust is NOT an edible option.

The Wilton cake sparkles/edible glitter is gum arabic. If the surface of the lollipop is a bit sticky, the sparkles will stick to it when it is dipped into them.

Who in heaven's name would want to eat a lollipop or anything, for that matter, covered in plastic craft glitter...........uck!

Rae

mom2twogrlz Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

ok, so disco dust is edible. And does that alter the taste?


yes. It does alter the taste, or actually the texture more. Like Rae said, it is plastic. Kinda gets stuck in your teeth. Yuck!!!!!!

cakesrock Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 8

I LUV Wilton sparkles and have used them quite a few times. Mostly recently, I used them to give a snow sparkle effect (on my company cake) and on my Christmas tree cake...I only use edible products (even if noone eats it- at least they could!) Personally, I never saw the point of making a cake (or sections of) that you can't eat! Well, that's my opinion anyway...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%