Help With Display Cases

Business By missydavis1976 Updated 11 May 2013 , 10:34pm by EllesKakes

missydavis1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missydavis1976 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:33am
post #1 of 6

Hi, All!

I recently struck a deal with a local pizza/deli shop to sell my cakes from their store front. Things are going okay,but I've ran into a small snag. The problem I'm having is ... well, BUGS! LOL. I keep fondant covered display cakes on top of my cake counter and last night the shop owner noticed that they were drawing some kind of tiny gnats. Of course we can't have this! He asked me if I could buy some type of cover to put over my cakes, like an acrylic case. I've priced these cases and they're fairly expensive, especially for a the size that I would need to cover at least two 2 tier cakes complete with toppers. Any ideas on where to buy these cheap, or other materials/methods to protect my cake dummies without removing them all together? I priced perma ice, but it's fairly expensive, too, considering my tiny operation and the fact that I like to change out my display cakes somewhat frequently. Since I just started, I'm barely breaking even and don't have a very large customer base yet, so you can see why I'm reluctant to drop a whole lot of cash (though I may have to!)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions icon_smile.gif

5 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:57am
post #2 of 6

If I am not mistaken, you can purchase a spray lacquer that you cover the cake dummies with.

It seals them up and helps them from fading and likely with help with the bugs since there will be no smell to attract them.

You can purchase it at local cake supply stores or craft shops.

Not sure what it cost's but sounds like it might be what you need.

Hope this helps

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 11:59am
post #3 of 6

I can tell you from experience that those tiny gnats are drain flies. The drains need to be cleaned in the pizza shop. Food partiicales build up and untill their cleaned regularly you'll have those pesky flies. I know because I've had them. My husband is a Commercial Pest Control Tech. Persoanally I like to use baking soda followed with vinagar then hot water on a regular basis. The pest control company that services the pizza place have solutions to keep the odors and pests treated also. Pam from Bama

missydavis1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missydavis1976 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:51am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the advice, Ladies! icon_wink.gif I didn't know about the spray on product, nor did I know a thing about drains and which insects they may attract lol. I live in Florida, though, and gnats (in my opinion, anyway) are just an off and on part of life. Every now and then we see a couple in our house (and a scorpion or two, a giant palmetto bug, a black widow ...). I didn't really think my cake dummies were the sole reason for the gnats in the shop, but I didn't want to argue with the owner, so if he says he's seeing them by the dummies, then I'll cover than as he asked. Small price to pay for not having to rent a commercial kitchen to do my cakes. I did find a solution to the expensive cake case problem, though. I went to Lowe's last night and bought enough glass sheets and glass glue to make rectangular display boxes to cover a small cake and a two tier cake with a topper ... all for about thirty bucks. I'm going to be brave and attempt to assemble them tomorrow morning (crossing fingers).

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:08am
post #5 of 6

I had drain flies right after I moved into my last apartment. It took weeks to get rid of them, because I had a landlord who insisted that I brought them there when I moved in. Yeah, right. I ended up pouring bleach down the drain to get rid of them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

EllesKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllesKakes Posted 11 May 2013 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 6

I know this is a very old post, but were you able to make the boxes with the material you bought from Lowes?  I am in need of similar cases.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%