Advice Apprecated..putting Fondant Smoothly On A 3D Football

Decorating By Children Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 3:43am by Children

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:04am
post #1 of 7

I've made a 3d football out of rice crispy treat. Obviously I want the football to look realistic icon_lol.gif I've worked with fondant before but not with this odd shape. Any advice, tricks or suggestions on how to get a great looking football would be greatly appreciated. Thank you icon_smile.gif

6 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:17am
post #2 of 7

Real footballs have a seam. Cover one half then flip over and cover the other half.

Children Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:54am
post #3 of 7

Myslady....yeah I thought about that tonight. What has me worried is making it smooth. I read somewhere it was best to put a thin layer of white chocolate on the rice crispies after it is formed. Well the football was smooth before the chocolate...not as much after. icon_cry.gif This really SHOULDN'T be this difficult icon_confused.gif

Any suggestions are more than welcome icon_lol.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:31am
post #4 of 7

Take a small grater and grate it smooth before applying fondant. I read this, tried it, and it worked great!

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 7

I always crush up my krispies before making the marshmallow treats, then after formed and firm, I paint with white chocolate. Firm up again and cover with fondant.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:45am
post #6 of 7

I frost the RKT just like I would a cake. For odd shapes, I use thin coats of buttercream and chill between coats. Fondant goes on nice and smooth.

Children Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #7 of 7

Thank you guys soooo much. Your advice saved my butt. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%