Speeding Up Fondant Drying Process In Fridge?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm by brincess_b

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:38am
post #1 of 8

When I made my last fondant figure, with a big ball of a body, I ended up putting it in the fridge right away, to prevent the body from spreading out and settling. It worked well, but I was wondering, is there any disadvantage/problem to doing this?

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:02am
post #2 of 8

YES!!!! It will get condensation on it when it comes back to room temp and completely wilt an get softer than it was in the first place. If you have a food dehydrator, that works the best for speedy drying

tryingcake Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:11am
post #3 of 8

perfectcakebyshirley, so did that happen? You said "the last time." Tell us if this happened to you. I put fondant in the fridge often and have never had that happen - but I've heard of others that have. Could it be they are in high humidity areas? I am in an almost zero humidity area.

cake_architect Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:19am
post #4 of 8

hello, i'm from south texas where humidity is higher than high, but even still i always refrigerate my fondant cakes. i started awhile back and haven't had any problems at all. even if the cake does condensate a little, i've never had any problems as long as no one touched it (fingerprints). i couldn't see any problem refrigerating a small figurine

cheatize Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:45am
post #5 of 8

I rest my figures in a bed of cornstarch, flour, or powdered sugar so they remain round as they dry. I cover the bed with plastic wrap if I think the figure will be difficult to dust off.

Yes, I have put fondant in the fridge- in both humid and dry weather (as dry as Ohio gets, anyway). It always condenses. Additionally, the moisture in the fridge will keep the figure from drying.

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 8

I always put my cakes in the fridge, even if covered in fondant, and haven't had a problem. In the summer, it does get a little bit of condensation on it, but it gives it a nice sheen. (Then I don't need to run the steamer over it!) But, I had made a figure of a moose last time, and needed it to dry out quickly, and I put it in the fridge, and it worked like a charm. It didn't fall apart. Just trying to see if it's a viable solution...

TexasSugar Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 8

Did you mix anything in with the fondant? Adding gum tex, tylose, cmc, gum trag or even some gumpaste will help your fondant dry quicker and keep it's shape better.

brincess_b Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 8

cake in the fridge and figures in the fridge are two entirely different ball games (or posts)

it would be better to add something to your fondant like texassugar suggests. fondant dries best just left open to the air (in the fridge this is not really the case, although every fridge is different), or if you need to speed it up, put it in the oven with just the light on, or some small craft lamps can be warm enough to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%