Grrr Help! Urgent

Lounge By cakenovice2010 Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 4:13am by saffronica

cakenovice2010 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:58am
post #1 of 6

I started making my cakes and we're out of milk, the recipe calls for 1 3/4 cups milk. I live out of town so driving for an 1/2 hour to get milk is not really something I want to do at 10pm. I do have heavy cream...would that work or should I just suck it up and get the milk?

So angry that I stopped at the store and no one from home said we needed milk when I asked. AGH

5 replies
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 6

I would use water. I would not use heavy cream.

Kitagrl Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:07am
post #3 of 6

I would probably try water with some heavy cream added if you absolutely cannot get milk...don't make it too creamy, just until its the same consistency of milk....

You don't have any evaporated milk or anything either right...

icer101 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:13am
post #4 of 6

i would do as kitagrl says. if you have evaporated milk, i would use half milk , half water. My mama always cooked that way when making her cakes. always good.!!!

DaPom Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:30am
post #5 of 6

I think you can use 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup cream to equal 1 cup milk. It will be a little richer in flavor and texture, but that ratio should work.

saffronica Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:13am
post #6 of 6

It's probably too late, but just in case...equal parts cream and water is NOT the same as milk (but hey, it might be better!). That's actually even fattier than Half & Half. A closer approximation would be 1.5 tablespoons cream and the rest water.

This is all based on what I think I remember reading, so I might be off, but here it is (for nerds like me who like to do the math): Heavy cream is 36-40% butterfat, half and half is about 11% butterfat, and whole milk is 3.25% butterfat. Mixing equal parts cream and water would give you about 19% butterfat, which is a lot more than the 3.25% you're looking for.

On a side note, I once used heavy cream in Kraft Mac & Cheese when we were out of milk (I did cut down the butter a lot), and it was amazingly creamy, though the "cheese" flavor was somewhat muted.

Good luck, and let us know what you did and how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%