Help! - Choosing A Business Name

Business By sweetcakesbyrebecca Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 3:45am by Annabakescakes

sweetcakesbyrebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyrebecca Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:11am
post #1 of 4

Hello

I have a concern about the name or business. I opened a store front just over 2 years ago and have been doing very well. A family member of mine suggested the name and i was literally 2 shy to come up with one on my own. My business is known as Sweet Cakes by Rebecca and it is owned by my LLC called Custom Cake Creations.
My concern is that a competitor has decided to open for business in a neighboring city and call it Sweet Cake Box. I just heard of it today from another wedding professional taht brought to my attention and felt I should take action. She also has decided to use the same font on her marketing materials.
I should mention that I have worked very hard and I have been featured on national blogs, i have my own blog, other wedding professional blogs, facebook, twitter, website, local magazines, wedding webites and I participate in multiple bridal shows and photo shoots. I am also a member of our local chamber of commerce, AFWPI, and a Style Me Pretty.
Just wondering how many of you feel that I should be concerned about market confussion? Also do any of you know what I can do about it if anything?

Thank you,
Rebecca
Sweet Cakes by Rebecca
www.sweetcakes.biz

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:00am
post #2 of 4

I doubt you can really do anything about it..."sweet cake" is a common phrase in the industry so you probably wouldn't be able to prove malicious intent, and your competitor has already been featured on TV so she probably won't be amenable to changing her business's name. It's true that her logo also uses a similar script font, but again the use of that type of font is very common in this industry.

If I were you, I would focus on building your own business's competitive advantages.

sweetcakesbyrebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyrebecca Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you Jason for your honesty. I do appreciate that.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:45am
post #4 of 4

I would talk to an attorney. Get a free consultation, and just see what he or she says. I would be pissed, I am so sorry for you, I know that has to stink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%