Buttercream Fondant

Baking By Ebonyswanne Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 11:11am by auzzi

Ebonyswanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ebonyswanne Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 5

I've been looking at different recipes for "buttercream" fondant, but the thing is none of them have real butter in them, just "Crisco" Are there any recipes out there with real butter in it. (So to me it doesn't make sense to call it buttercream rolled fondant,) Or is it just crisco to keep the butter fondant whiter? (shortening fats are still not butter,)
Just looking at the alternatives I've come across while doing research, anyone got ideas or recipes I've missed in google searches.

4 replies
lacey88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey88 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 5

have you tried marshmallow fondant? its cheap and easy to make. and its pretty tasty too!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:52am
post #3 of 5

If you can get a hold of glycerine and gelatin in AU, try making Michele Foster's Fondant. It has real butter and milk in it. I think one of the reviews said it tasted like buttercream. Here are the recipe links (they are both the same recipe, just one has more hints and tips):

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3663/michele-fosters-delicious-fondant

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

I was actually thinking about making this today. I have never made homemade fondant before so this looked good.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:24am
post #4 of 5

I love Michele Foster's Fondant--it is the only recipe I will make. I tried making marshmallow fondant in the past and it never seemed to be consistent from batch to batch--could just be me because I know a lot of cakers swear by it lol. However, I used the "updated" version which calls for 3 tablespoons of butter and glycerine; again, others use one of the two you posted. I originally found the recipe I use and it works for me so I have stuck with it. This fondant tastes wonderful as the recipe is written. If you make the chocolate version, it tastes like a tootsie roll--very delicious! I only use fondant for decorations so I have never covered a cake with it--my family and friends aren't big on fondant--they prefer their BC icon_lol.gif . You will not be disappointed with this fondant--it is delicious and easy to work with! thumbs_up.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:11am
post #5 of 5

Which one are you exactly asking after ??

>> Rolled Buttercream [incorrectly called "Fondant"]
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup shortening [usually crisco]
1/2 teaspoon salt  
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds icing sugar

>> Rolled Fondant
7 g unflavored gelatine
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup glucose syrup
1 tablespoon glycerine
2 tablespoons shortening [crisco]