I Am Freaking Out! Cc Info Overload!

Business By KakesbyKris Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 2:42pm by jason_kraft

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:57am
post #1 of 6

Forgive me, but I know as soon as I start this post I am going to cake vomit all over. I need to talk to those who understand though.

I am just under a year of decorating and am wanting to get in to weddings. I like novelty cakes just fine, don't get me wrong. Just would like to make a profit off of one cake instead of many little ones. DH gave me cake dummies for Christmas to practice and expand my portfolio.

I rang in the new year working on a nightmare of a cake, but am hoping it was a sign of things to come. By Sunday I became booked for the next 3 weekends. Sunday evening I had a bride inquiry and Monday morning a tasting as soon as they firm up the venue!

Every day I check CC and see what people are talking about or casually looking for ideas and new techniques. Now my searching is serious. OMG though!!

Do you charge for a tasting or not. Charge, but apply it to balance if they order. Limit number of people. Number of flavors, bride's choice-chef's choice. Sign a contract, sketch during or after. Let bride keep sketch or not. Who buys ribbon for cake. Don't nickel and dime the bride, but charge per flower. What's considered a labor-intensive design and on and on and on.
Then I stumbled on a post about military discounts, which I totally get especially where I live. So how much and who?
Posts about educating the bride about, cake sizes, heights, slice sizes, how to cut the cake. About fondant.......

I am on overload and am not sure what I am getting into anymore!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:05am
post #2 of 6

Well, first things first. Do you have to be inspected and/or licensed where you are in order to sell cakes? Because more and more, reception venues will not let unlicensed (if it's required by your city/county/state) cakes into their facility.

KakesbyKris Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:25am
post #3 of 6

Got it covered. That was one of the first things I learned from CC.

I rent a commercial kitchen so I don't have a store front. It's a decent looking place, but not really the atmosphere for a tasting. I've read where others have them at coffee shops. I thought about taking them to the bride. Thinking she would be more comfortable in her own environment. How do you do it when you rent a kitchen?

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:28am
post #4 of 6

Ii so totally know what you are going through!! I did ALOT of research in my area for prices. What where other bakers charging etc... Find out the laws in your area, it is illegal for me to sell anything I bake in my kitchen so I am now in the process of looking for a commercial kitchen to rent. AAAAHHHH It is all so overwhelming but I LOVE THIS!! So worth it! I think!!

KakesbyKris Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:53am
post #5 of 6

I thought I had pricing figured out. Since I have been doing novelty cakes I had to figure out what to charge. Although as I learn more, I have had to tweak it. I had set up a pricing for wedding cakes, just haven't had to use that pricing yet. The more I read the more I worry about how I am doing it.

I've been reading IndyDebi's blogs, which has made me look at some things differently or didn't even think of.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KakesbyKris

I rent a commercial kitchen so I don't have a store front. It's a decent looking place, but not really the atmosphere for a tasting. I've read where others have them at coffee shops. I thought about taking them to the bride. Thinking she would be more comfortable in her own environment. How do you do it when you rent a kitchen?

We are in the same situation (we rent a commercial kitchen without a retail storefront), and we do tastings in our home. The food for the tasting is made in the commercial kitchen, we provide up to 3 cake flavors (one 6" round each) and 3 frosting flavors for up to 2 people for $30, with the cost of the tasting applied to their final order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%