Matching Buttercream & Fondant

Decorating By Kayla0887 Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 9:33am by Kayla0887

Kayla0887 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:31am
post #1 of 7

I always seem to have trouble getting my butter cream icing and fondant to match. They are always very different shades and never seem to match up. Usually my fondant is way more bold and my butter cream looks like a softer version of the color? Is there a trick to this?

6 replies
Elcee Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:28am
post #2 of 7

I do fairly well in getting my fondanct and BC or RI to match but I'm not sure you can ever get an exact match. I do the fondant first and keep track of what I'm putting in for color. Once I move on to the icing I just slowly keep adding color in the same order and proportion as I did to the fondant until I have a good match.

As I was doing that over the weekend it did cross my mind to wonder, how long do other decorators spend coloring their icings? I was at it for about 40 minutes, adding, tweaking, mixing.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:40am
post #3 of 7

I can never get them to match, so I quit trying. Buttercream darkens over time and fondant lightens up too, which doesn't help matters any. What I ended up doing is neutral buttercream (chocolate and vanilla) with pink fondant accents (in my pix there's some cupcakes I did like that since I couldn't get the pink buttercream and the pink fondant to match to save my life). Ultimately that worked better for me. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:09am
post #4 of 7

Is this something new for inside the cake, or is it just for a fondant cake with matching cupcakes?

Remember that fat is one of the main ingredients in frosting, and it doesn't take color as well as fondant. You also have to give your coloring time to mature. What might not match today might be too bold tomorrow.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Elcee Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:43am
post #5 of 7
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Is this something new for inside the cake, or is it just for a fondant cake with matching cupcakes?

Theresa, I like to make some icing to match my fondant for piping borders, etc. There's a yellow retirement cake and a lime green cake in my pictures that are fondant with a matching buttercream border. I assumed that's what the OP is aiming for. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:50am
post #6 of 7

Gotcha. Thanks, Elcee!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kayla0887 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 9:33am
post #7 of 7

Yes it takes me FOREVER to color fondant/frosting! I got an airbrush thing for Christmas thinking this would save a lot of time, but quickly realized it did not have the same color effects as just coloring the fondant/frosting by hand. I will try starting with fondant first and keeping track from there. Thanks for the advice! I'm really new at doing cakes, but cake central has helped me out so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%