Chocolate Plastic

Decorating By cakelove77 Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 8:41pm by cakesmart

cakelove77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove77 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 10

Hi all!

I have a question regarding chocolate plastic.
Has anyone here ever used chocolate plastic to cover a cake like you would do fondant?

If so is it just as easy to work with or not?

Any input would be great!

I'm making my friends baby shower cake and I wanted to use chocolate plastic rather than fondant and I need advise.

thank you all for your help! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:40am
post #2 of 10

Do you mean chocolate clay?

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 10

umm I have never heard of this... interesting I hope a few more ppl reply to this.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 10

i recall seeing a chef use chocolate plastic on a food network challenge-i can't remember his name but he made a choc bicycle that moved. he claimed to have made up the recipie and they never did list it. Interesting.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 10

There are a few recipes on the internet for chocolate plastique/modeling chocolate. Yes, people cover cakes with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7518775@N04/

I have two DVDs from Baking Arts.

http://www.bakingarts.net/modeling-chocolate-dvds.html

Watch the previews there.

Also, Jennifer Dontz has a DVD where she mixes chocolate clay with fondant.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/white-chocolate-fondant-2

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 10

this is what i found regarding it, sounds a lot like chocolate clay.

http://candy.about.com/od/chocolate/r/choc_plastic.htm

cakelove77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove77 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 10

thank you all for your replies

chocolate plastic is made of chocolate and corn syrup... so if thats what chocolate clay is made out of then we are talking about the same thing. icon_smile.gif

my concern is if it gets hard after a while of being exposed to air??
like if i make this cake with the choco plastique/plastic it wont be solid as a rock come time to cut into it...

i'm going to look at all links everyone provided

stay tuned everyone... the cake is for the 23rd of January, just around the corner... if all turns out ok pics to follow icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 10

cakelove77, that's what Richard uses in his "modeling chocolate" DVDs on the link I previously posted. He calls it modeling chocolate. I haven't tried to cover cakes with it yet, so I'm not sure how hard it would get. I do know that he rolls it very thin, so maybe if it gets hard, it's still easy to cut? You might be able to email him and ask him.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 10

I have never covered a cake with it, but have used it a few times in cakes. It gets about as hard as fondant. It is easy to work with in some ways, but harder in others. It does not stretch like fondant, so be careful lifting. But it is much easier to blend seams than fondant. So if it does rip, you can blend the crack back together fairly easy with the warmth of your hand. When you are working with it you have to be careful not to over work it. Since it is chocolate it will melt fairly easily in your hands, leaving fingerprints. I want to try a candy clay covered cake soon. Good luck to you.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 10

I've used it (chocolate clay/modeling chocolate) to cover a cake and it was similar to fondant. Also used it for roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%