Airbrush Psi?

Decorating By zanadoo22 Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 5:34pm by YOUnique_Cakes

zanadoo22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zanadoo22 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 2

I received a Salon Air TC-60 air compressor for Christmas. I'm using the Master G22 airbrush with it. The compressor didn't come with instructions so I've been trying to figure out how to work it. I can't seem to get the psi to be constant at anything below 20. Maybe I just need someone to tell me how to set the PSI properly. I called TCP Global, where it was purchased from, and they told me to push down the air trigger while I turn the dial until the needle sits at the right PSI. Is that right?
I was trying to set it to 10. So when the needle is stable at 10, I let go of the air trigger, and the needle jumps up to 20. When I press the trigger down again, the needle falls to 1 and then climbs up to 10, then back to 1, and it just keeps doing that for about 30 seconds or so, until it settles down and shuts off at 0. Other times, I have set it at 10 and depressed the air, then pressed the air trigger again, it'll jump up to 20 and stay there - even though I haven't changed the dial at all. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency!
With the air fluctuation from 10 to 1 and back again - I can't imagine that is how airbrushes are supposed to work, because then you'd be writing "Merry Christmas" and the letters would be huge.. then tiny.. then huge!
This is my second compressor that they've sent me. The first one couldn't hold a constant psi at all. At least this one stays put if it's 20 or higher.
Can anyone offer any insight into how to use this compressor? There's only one dial. I thought there was supposed to be a way to set the "max" psi and then the "useable" psi.. like it's got 20 in the tank, but I want to use just 10? Maybe that's a false assumption, but without a manual to work from I'm pretty lost.
I've asked a few CC members who have posted that they have the Salon Air compressor, but I haven't received any specifics on how to resolve my compressor's issues. Perhaps you have a different compressor, but the mechanics of compressors are the same? If so, please help! Thanks!

1 reply
YOUnique_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YOUnique_Cakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 2

I got on of those small 20 psi compressors from tcp global and I hate it!!! I sent mine back. You can't adjust it and honestly you can even paint a whole cake because it wont hold a consistent psi. I went out and bought a 3 gallon pancake compressor from a hardware store for $80 dollers. I got one that can adjust and that has a bigger tank. I personally think those little tinny compressor are a rip off for cake making. They might work for nail brushing but look how small of an area they are working with. I suggest trying to send your back and go get a one from some where else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%