Toba Garrett Lessons

Decorating By SweetIslands Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 1:03am by playingwithsugar

SweetIslands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetIslands Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 19

Hi everyone,

I am new here. Txs for having meicon_smile.gif
I was wondering, I am planning to invest in a number of lessons at The Culinary Arts of Education in New York taught by Mrs. Toba Garrett.
Has anyone here have any experience with her lessons?
Any information would be highly appreciated.
Txs

18 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 19

I don't have experience with her lessons, but I know she is a top rated chef, and I have seen others that have taken her classes, and her work is exceptional, I would love to take classes from her someday, so I say go for it.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 19

Oh Sorry, I forgot to say Welcome, you will learn so much here. This site is very addicting.

SweetIslands Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 19

Txs so much for ur reply. I have her books, but to have lessons in person would be awesome! I live far away so really want to be sure what I am doing before taking the plungeicon_smile.gif

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 19

Welcome to CC! As previously stated, you will become addicted! I would LOVE to take a class from Toba Garrett! I have one of her books, and all the cake recipes and buttercream recipes I have tried are just phenomenal! I am very jealous of you lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Again, welcome to CC!

SweetIslands Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer me and to bid me welcome, Saapena.
I also have her books.....and they are beautiful, well explained.
I am just doing some research to see if it will be worth the $$$icon_smile.gif or just stick to the booksicon_smile.gif

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:05am
post #7 of 19

Hi, I'm not sure where you live, but I believe she is going to be at the Garden State Cake Show next month. Not sure if she's presenting anything. Edna will be there too (love you Edna!!) Maybe she can shed some light on this?

RUMCAKE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RUMCAKE Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #8 of 19

I did a bout five classes at Ices and three of them was with Toba. I really went there because I had bought her books and wanted first hand how things were done since I am a very visual person.

Her classes are always full, there are about 10 people to a class, if I remember correctly. She isvery detailed in her explainations and demo. You will learn a lot, I did

I would recommend her classes 100%

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:03am
post #9 of 19

Toba has come to my area 3 times. raleigh-durham nc. I have taken her classes each time. I love her. She is a fantastic teacher. She is so patient and understanding and helps you thru it all. Hope you get to take classes with her. It was usually a 2 day class. Love her books also.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:28am
post #10 of 19

I'm the resident expert on Toba Garrett lessons. I've taken all she's offered at ICE. I am proud to call her my mentor.

I loved every minute of being in her classes. There are things you can learn from any instructor, via face-to-face conversation, that is not divulged in books. If you have the money and opportunity to attend her classes, by all means, do it.

I would do it all again.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SweetIslands Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 19

Thank you so much for ur replies. I really appreciate it.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 19

Toba's my hero...I am jealous icon_smile.gif

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:05pm
post #13 of 19

YES,SHE IS AWESOME.
LEARN, LEARN, LEARN!!!!

HAPPY BAKING AND DECORATING,
CHEF ANGIE

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 19

She's coming to Toronto (well, Pickering really) to do two classes at Flour Confections at the end of May. It appears she's doing them each as one day classes, but split over two half days each (Australian Stringwork & Lambeth Ring Design). You can take one or the other, or register for the Master Class which is both. I'd take them, but they're recommended that the attendees are of intermediate or advanced level, and I'm not there just yet. So, if anyone is interested, go to http://www.flourconfections.ca and click on Classes and then Celebrity Classes.

Lisa-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa-lou Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 10:37pm
post #15 of 19

That is so wonderful! I would love to take her courses one day. Have a wonderful time if you decide to go...

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:14am
post #16 of 19

Hi SweetIslands,
Can you send the info to me on when/where these NY classes are? I would LOVE to take some of her classes! Thank you!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:43am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Hi SweetIslands,
Can you send the info to me on when/where these NY classes are? I would LOVE to take some of her classes! Thank you!

Toba teaches at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City. They have a website. Her classes get full really fast. You have to get in as soon as they're in the schedule.

SweetIslands Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:50am
post #18 of 19

I wont be able to make the Feb. courses, since u need Decorating course #1. I didnt schedule that in my plans. And when I went back to their website, Decorating #1 is full!
I guess I will need to visit the website in April, when they schedule the next courses.
If I go, I will have to stay pretty much a month there to attend all her classes. To fly to and fro, would cost me more $$$.
So I will revisit the website again end of March to see if they will have posted new schedules.

Hope there will be available.............

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:03am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Hi SweetIslands,

www.iceculinary.com

go to recreational classes to find her courses.

Let me know when you are there. I'll come in from PA, and we can do lunch at the dumpling parlor or the barbecue place.

Her classes do fill really fast, and by now, I would say that a lot of them are full. You might want to wait until the Summer or Fall sessions are scheduled. You can also call them at 1-800-522-4610. Ask for Jan and tell her Theresa from Pennsylvania sent you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%