Pulled Sugar Snowflake Topper-Help!!!

Sugar Work By Reimagining_Confections Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 7:12pm by Karen421

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys,

So I am working on a snowflake topper for a wedding I am doing this weekend(cousin- so this is all gratis icon_confused.gif

I have several poured sugar snowflakes(5 inches in diameter). I am going to make some more isomalt today. I need to glue (a front and a back together, but sort of in a pyramid configuration so that the tops touch)for stability. The bottoms will be glued to a sugar circle (with a hole in the middle) I already made.

Here is where I am stuck.

I am placing this topper on the top of a cake in which I am pulling a set of xmas lights through(just one small strand)the center of my cake. I have the opening (pole all fixed). The problem I am struggling with is how to affix the light in between my sugar pyramid(so the snowflakes light up). I need the light to come up through the cake and "clip" stay up through the pole. That way the light is positioned in between the two snowflakes.

Any ideas? Needs to be something that is preferably not done on site but ahead of time to topper. (Otherwise I guess I could hot glue some more poured sugar around the topper on site). Little worried about doing that.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 6

Hmmm--So you want to deliver it assembled.

I would make a paper or metal collar for the light--it would be a flat circle of paper or metal and it would hold the neck of the light (not the bulb of course but the piece the bulb fits into). So that you can put the collar onto the top of the cake and the bulb will stick up above that and make pretty within the snowflakes.

So the center of the collar would be cut just a little too small for the size of the light. Then cut little wagon spoke type cuts from the inside of the collar so it will ease over and hold the light up. It will create a little tension there.

Reimagining_Confections Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6

Yup- K8 thanks. You confirmed the direction i was going to go. I thought it would work. Appreciate the help! Newbie to sugar- but I love learning new things!!!

Now if I can just manage not to burn my hand. Again icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 6

You might need more an upside down funnel shape. And that might need to be supported too.

I like to use battery operated mini-lights that I can sink out of sight. So all I have to do is flip a switch. I'm thinking yours is a plug in?

Sugar burns are so rude!!!!

Hope all goes very very well.

Reimagining_Confections Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks K8memphis for you're ideas and help. I used the poured collar idea you mentioned and it worked great. Gave me the basic shape, then I heated it with my torch and molded into the shape I needed. worked first time- that doesn't happen often.

Also, found the led battery lights- pack of 12 for $10 at party city. They are with the balloons in the store.

Check out my finished cupcake display, cakes, and topper in my gallery. Thanks for looking. you guys keep me excited about new techniques. Can't wait to see what is next.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 6

Absolutely stunning!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%