How Much Time Do You Dedicate To Cookies???

Baking By CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 2:17pm by ChefAngie

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:01am
post #1 of 5

Hi, After a long absence from my daily fix here at CC, I thought I would put it out there and ask, just how much time do you spend decorating your cookies? Throughout the month of December, I worked hard on cookies, one stage I had to do 3 full days, with 11hours sleep, then by week 2, I had to do 43 hours ( with two 15 minute naps, slipped in) just to get my orders out.

What time did you spend on cookies?

Any tips?? for Planning, execution etc?

Thanks, and I am glad to be back...

Oh yeah, then there is finding time to make new designs ( yeah right, not me)

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 5

Depends on the cookie. I did 100 cookies for wedding favors that took me just a couple of hours. But 50 Hello Kitty cookies took me over 5 hours!! Half the number of cookies took 2.5 more time.

Some techniques I can suggest is set up everything assembly line. Don't do one cookie at a time but do all the same process at one time. Do all of the base flooding first. Then do all the design in color A; then do all the design in color B. I have all the RI made and ready to go, covered with damp paper towels. Reduce the steps and you increase your productivity. thumbs_up.gif

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 5

Indydebi is right. Do it all assembly line fashion. I did 200 decorated cookies in one weekend this last Christmas. I did bake the cookies over two evenings during the week. Then I covered them all with fondant, brushed them all with disco dust and then after they dried I added all the finishing touches with royal that I made and colored while the cookies were drying. Just be well organized and make sure you are well stocked on ingredients so that you don't have to make a run to the grocery store. I also made several batches of MMF the weekend before and had it ready to go when I needed it. Just be organized and it will all fall in to place. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for your replies, I didnt get the notification email, I guess its not working at the moment.

I had a production line for sure, I was doing over ( as I lost count and will have to dig thru and total my orders to know for sure) over 1400 cookies for christmas, and it was crazy, I have a bakery trolley and several other shelves/containers and they were all full of drying cookies. It was crazy. While backgrounds were drying I was doing the decoration etc etc.

I did one cookie style at a time and as you mentioned step by step, per tray it really is the only way to do it successfully.

Also I learn't that if I pre measure all of my flour and bag and other dry ingredients, weigh all my butter portions etc that it saved a lot of time at the making dough stage.

The big time taker was the packaging for me. I have labels, one on front, ingredients on back ( which I hand write the best before date) Then I heat seal and then had to tie with ribbon. It took HOURS AND HOURS! I did all the labels on the bags in November so I only had to write dates, that helped.

Next crazy session like that I will do the following. Make dough ahead of time and freeze, and TAKE PHOTOS... can you believe I am lucky if I have 4 photos out of the lot, and I did a couple of hand cut shapes that took forever. It was a learning curve, however I did get them all done in time. thank goodness.

Thanks for listening (reading) and sharing your thoughts.

What I need to master is calculating as you mentioned when the 100 cookies is going to take me 2 hours to ice or 8hours etc.... that I guess will come with time.. thanks again.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 5

COOKIES ARE LABOR INTENSIVE!
GORGEOUS! GORGEOUS! GORGEOUS! WHEN FINISHED.
EVERYBODY CANNOT DO WHAT WE DO.
COOKIES ARE EDIBLE ART-EXPENSIVE.
ASSEMBLY LINE WORKS BEST-ALONG WITH AN AIRBRUSH AND ROLLED FONDANT.

HAPPY BAKING AND DECORATING,
CHEF ANGIE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%