Gift Box Bridal Shower Cake

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 5:30pm by sarascakecreations

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 6:13am
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I have an order for a bridal shower cake and she wants a gift box with a bow and shoe on top.

I have made a shoe and bow before but I'm lost about the box lid. She wants the type with the tissue sticking out... does anyone have good instructions or a link to a tutorial they can share with me?

Sara

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 5

there are quite a few different ways to do a lid. Some do it with a 1/2" or 1" tall cake on a board and cover it, using dowels to prop it up (when you put the "tissue paper" in it hides the dowels)

I prefer to roll out gumpaste, cut out a rectangle about 1"-2" bigger than i need, then cut out a 1/2" to 1" square out of each corner (depending on how big you want the lip to be) Then i lay it on a board and elevate the board so that the 1/2" or 1" sides hang down over the edge to create the lid look.

I don't have a tutorial, but i did this same process on both the lids on this gift box cake.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1397586

sarascakecreations Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 5

Ok so if I understand correctly, you used a a regular thin board and covered it in gum paste and then cut out a square out of each side, and elevated let's say over some cups or a bowl to allow the lip to hang and dry....

is that right?

thanks I think I can do it!

sarascakecreations Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 5

Hello,

so the order for this cake is next week, and i'm freaking!

Do I tell the bride to remove the top I guess before she cuts the cake?

Even if I do it out of gumpaste I will have to tell her to remove it right?

sarascakecreations Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 5

leily.....

I really want to make the cake easy for the bride to cut into... and she doesn't like the tissue look to much she wants the box closed.... sooo i'm thinking can I do what you said

"I prefer to roll out gumpaste, cut out a rectangle about 1"-2" bigger than i need, then cut out a 1/2" to 1" square out of each corner (depending on how big you want the lip to be) Then i lay it on a board and elevate the board so that the 1/2" or 1" sides hang down over the edge to create the lid look. "

with just fondant and lay it over top of the cake to create the lip... would it work?

sara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%