What Is Vanilla Sponge?

Decorating By dst10spr97 Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 5:55am by auzzi

dst10spr97 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 4:33am
post #1 of 7

Unfortunately I'm up at 11:30 at night when I should be asleep. My 5 month old is up having a full fledged conversation with herself and the husband is snoring. So I'm up watching The Next Great Baker (Greggy is too much LOL). Which made me think of another question I had what exactly is Vanilla Sponge. Is Sponge cake different from say a regular vanilla cake. I'm thinking Sponge is more dense and thus easier to carve into shapes, but I wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I noticed on these cake shows they mention sponge quite a bit.

6 replies
Dani1081 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 4:48am
post #2 of 7

Exactly what I've been wondering - Buddy always says "sponge". Is that just what they call regular cake, or is it really a sponge cake? It's very confusing, because they call them sponges but I don't see any egg whites being whipped into stiff peaks to fold into the cake batter, which is exactly what sponge cake is . . .hmmm. . .

zespri Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 7:07am
post #3 of 7

I haven't seen the show, but here in my part of the world sponge cake is very light and airy. Maybe he means something different?

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 7:45am
post #4 of 7

There are different types of cakes, depending on what part of the egg is used, and how it is added to the cake. The easiest way to explain a true sponge cake is to read the Baking911 page on sponge cakes -

http://www.baking911.com/cakes/sponge.htm

I do not know if Carlo's Bakery uses a genuine sponge batter, or if what he's calling the sponge is actually called the crumb of the cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dst10spr97 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:26am
post #5 of 7

The link seems to be broken. Thanks

playingwithsugar Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:29am
post #6 of 7

no, I forgot the name is blocked by the system

it's

www. baking 9 1 1.com/cakes/sponge.htm

take out the spaces

Theresa icon_smile.gif

auzzi Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:55am
post #7 of 7

Sponge cake is a foam cake - light and airy. American Chiffon cake is an oil sponge.

Buddy's recipe seems to be based on US Hot Milk Sponge Cake - although the hot milk is not used .. This type of cake is labelled as "pliable", but I would not think that it would be a "carveable" cake. Sponge is not dense.

Check out his Vanilla Cake recipe: it seems to have a bit more "body" to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%