Cake Recipes

Baking By rubberduckie Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 3:11pm by Jennifer353

rubberduckie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubberduckie Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 8

I have recently started making cakes for family and friends and I always use Lindy Smith's Madeira cake or Chocolate cake as it lasts for 2wks, however, I've used it so many times now that I would like to try something different.

Can anyone else recommend recipes for cakes that would last a few days with fondant on, as it takes me a few days to finish all the fondant decorations.

Thanks for any help, as I'm a novice when it comes to the technical side of baking.

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 8

What types of decorations are you talking about? Gumpaste or fondant flowers and figurines need time to dry, anyway, so why not make them first?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 8

rubberduckie, I usually spend many days making different fondant, gum paste flowers, and Royal Icing filigree to put on my cakes...they get better with age! The cakes are usually made ahead of time and frozen...so, the only "last minute" item is the buttercream and/or fondant.

Your cakes should not stay out for an extended period of time. It is my preference to ice my cakes the day/night before they are due...yes, I already have the decorations completed and ready...makes it so simple and less stressful.

I prefer to use the WASC recipe, as it holds up well to stacking. I have a favorite chocolate recipe that uses ganache, etc., and the WASC recipe can be used for most other flavors...

The most important thing is to enjoy what you are doing...if you are too stressed, you will burn out! (Since the figures, roses, decorations take such a long time, I prefer to make them without any interruptions or stress...keeps the creative juices going!) icon_lol.gif

rubberduckie Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:53am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the information, however, as I'm in the UK we don't have those cake mixes so I'm not sure how I could use the WASC recipe.

Also, my cakes tend to have a lot of diddly bits that I can't make until I'm assembling the cake, which is why it can take me a few days to finish. I'm afraid to use any other cake other than the Madeira one as I wouldn't want anyone cutting into it and it being off.

Thanks for all your help. I feel as though I've learnt so much from here with the decorating side, but really need to try some new recipes.

rubberduckie Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:54am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the information, however, as I'm in the UK we don't have those cake mixes so I'm not sure how I could use the WASC recipe.

Also, my cakes tend to have a lot of diddly bits that I can't make until I'm assembling the cake, which is why it can take me a few days to finish. I'm afraid to use any other cake other than the Madeira one as I wouldn't want anyone cutting into it and it being off.

Thanks for all your help. I feel as though I've learnt so much from here with the decorating side, but really need to try some new recipes.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 8

So sorry, I did not realize you were located out of the USA...my ignorance! It would be worth your while to order a case of cake mixes to have an 'edge'. icon_biggrin.gif I can purchase the mixes (normally, they are Betty Crocker brand) at 10 boxes for 10 USD (6.45 GBP). They are basically stabilizers for your cake...excellent!

Always use what you feel is the best! icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 8

Planet Cake (in Australia) say that they ship their cakes from Sydney as far as Europe and South America. In their book, they have a vanilla recipe, chocolate mud cake, carrot cake, white chocolate mud cake, coconut cake, orange/almond cake, and they use ganache under their fondant. They say that they're able to make the cake last like that because of the way they prepare them.

I highly recommend their book.

Not sure if they have the recipes in their blogs, but here are the links:

http://planetcakeupdate.blogspot.com/

http://theplanetcakeapprentice.blogspot.com/

http://pccoursedirector.blogspot.com/

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 8

Traditional fruit cake? It usually lasts for months so would work if you/friends like it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%