Adding A Bonfire To A Camping Cake That Uses Real Fire?

Decorating By Mamasaid Updated 3 Jan 2011 , 6:45pm by Karen421

Mamasaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasaid Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make a camp out cake that has a working bonfire. Yeah..I know. So - I don't wish to poison anyone or burn down the restaurant. Was thinking of sinking a can of gel sterno but am concerned about contamination and well...fire!

Any suggestions from some techno pros out there?

(The words in my head are Kerry Vincent saying "just say NO.")

5 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 6

Wow! This is a challenge! Did you check with the restaurant to make sure it's okay to have something like that with an open flame?

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 6

i like the sterno idea; just wrap the can part in aluminum foil so that it doesn't touch the cake when you sink it down in there. and as long as nothing is directly above it, or too close to the sides of it, i don't think it will melt your other decorations. good luck!

and if it's just a sterno, you should be fine in the rest.! i mean, what's the difference b/t that and someone who puts all 60 candles on the cake for the birthday guy/gal to blow out?! icon_smile.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 6

If it doesn't have to go for a long period of time you should be able to use some lemon extract. Wash a small bowl shaped portion of an egg shell to hold the extract and you got a small fire.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

and if it's just a sterno, you should be fine in the rest.! i mean, what's the difference b/t that and someone who puts all 60 candles on the cake for the birthday guy/gal to blow out?! icon_smile.gif

Good point! thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 6

Can you use a tea light in the middle?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%