Colored Fondant Vs Airbrush Fondant Cakes

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 12:20am by costumeczar

shannycakers Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 8

fellow cc'ers please tell me the pros and cons of taking a white cake and airbrushing it red, or taking a colored fondatn like satin ice red to cover it. Do most people do one over the other for a specific reason? I am thinking about an airbrush class and i am wondering if I take this class will i ever need to buy colored fondant again?

I am assuming that most people either do one or the other and just cant figure out why?

Thanks!!
~Shannon

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 8

you can play around with "mixing" colors more if you color the fondant vs. airbrushing.......also, unless you're really good with the airbrush the coloring won't be perfectly even all over the cake!

costumeczar Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 8

Also, if you airbrush an entire cake the color can come off or smear if it gets wet, or if somehting touches it. You can never really fix that. Colored fondant avoids that issue.

bakingatthebeach Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 8

My ornaments in my pics are all airbrushed, easy, looks good, but when you eat them, you mouth, teeth, lips, fingers end up the color of the ball, even 3 days later!

debbief Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingatthebeach

My ornaments in my pics are all airbrushed, easy, looks good, but when you eat them, you mouth, teeth, lips, fingers end up the color of the ball, even 3 days later!

Oh that's not good news! I just recently got an airbrush so I wouldn't have to color my fondant anymore. I don't like the idea of the color coming off on you when you eat it icon_sad.gif

brincess_b Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 8

to be fair, the colour can still stain you when its mixed in the fondant. and as you (apparently) use more colour to mix it in the fondant, airbrushing can mean there is less colour, so the taste is not affected so much.
xx

bakingatthebeach Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 8

I use alot of fondant accents that were colored and they sure didnt stain as bad as the airbrushing. But I do love my airbrush because it makes it so much easier to color the small things you DONT want to color extra fondant for. Plus airbrushing gumpaste. I am definitly NOT sorry I got it. Its been a big help. I just wont color a whole cake with it. (and they only stained when they got moist, not from touching them after they were dried!)

costumeczar Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:20am
post #8 of 8

I use my airbrush mostly for coloring flowers and other things that won't be eaten, but I've used it to color fondant on cakes before. I just find that it's easier to not have to worry about the color rubbing off of the surface of the cakes and not being able to fix it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%