gatorcake Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 12:03pm
post #91 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

But I still feel that Buddy's is a unique cake. If it isn't, it wasn't made correctly.

Because I did not find it unique does not mean it was not made correctly--you just can't help insulting people can you.

Something worth noting, for your own peace of mind, offence is only ever taken, never given.

Food for thought.

I did not say I was offended did I? I did not say I found the statement offensive, did I? What I said was the individual in question could not help but pass judgement on others making a question of taste, a matter of skill. And frankly this statement is used by bigots and racists as cover for their racist and bigoted humor----food for though.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 1:51pm
post #92 of 108

I happen to have a boatload of pm's stating that once it was made correctly, it was indeed, a mega-moist cake, unlike any other recipe ever seen or baked. Many first attempts and failed attempts yielded so-so results exactly as you described.

I did not mention taste at all. My comment was directed at the average moisture level.

So I stand by my comment. Hate it if you like. That is personal, but your physical description matched those of improper method. Every person who has pm'd me has had correct results.

So too bad. Not a personal attack, as has just been waged against me. Just a statement of facts. I've been through this recipe too many times with so many CC members.

KirasCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KirasCakery Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 1:36am
post #93 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127 

I tested the pans against the regular Williams-Sonoma and several other high quality brands... same batter, same oven, at the same time. The goldtouch cupcakes were heads above the rest. Same goes for all of their pans. I have some magic line in other sizes and they can't compete either.

Even better than the Wilton pans?

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 4:49am
post #94 of 108

AI have also tasted his cakes n wasn't so impressed n my husband didn't like it. Now his cannoli's were good

SunshineBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineBaker Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 7:49pm
post #95 of 108

I tried making what was supposed to be Buddy's vanilla cake.  I got the recipe from this site, someone said he had made it and given the recipe out on Rachel Ray's show.  It did not have custard cream added.  All cakes seemed to take a long time baking, just didn't look or feel done.  And they all came out with a huge air pocket on the bottom of the cake.  We sampled them nevertheless, and I was not impressed with the taste at all.  They had somewhat of a pound cake taste and texture, but not as good, and were very heavy (I was looking for a stable cake that would hold up to fondant and stacking without sagging).  I do believe they would hold up to fondant since they were very dense, but the stacked cake would weigh a TON!!

I think I am going to try the Sky High Irresistible vanilla buttermilk cake, as someone here suggested.  I have made and used the WASC recipe often, and it is very good, but have had some problems with sagging when fondant is used to cover it.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 4:47am
post #96 of 108

I made it tonight (cupcakes) and it was ok. They were a little...rubbery? The tops and edges crystallized a bit making it hard to get out of the wrapper. I didn't use the custard mostly because it was a last minute decision to make the cupcakes. I wound up filling them with fresh lemon curd and using lemon SMBC which improved their taste. I love when the cake is the star but it was just a vehicle for the lemon curd and icing.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 6:13am
post #97 of 108

These old threads read like soap operas. Buddy? who knew? icon_surprised.gif

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 10:28am
post #98 of 108

oh wow awesome

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 11:25am
post #99 of 108

Make the cake with the custard!  We're talking two cups here.  That's very significant in a recipe.  The custard is what makes this cake delicious and unique.  Try it again with the custard and come back with a review.

And to answer the question from January, yes, the Gold Touch cake pans are far superior to Wilton.  Wilton pans are definitely not the best.  I am phasing out all my Wilton pans for Magic Line and Gold Touch.

SunshineBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineBaker Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 4:48pm
post #100 of 108

I agree with Annie.  I love my Magic Line pans.  They are very sturdy and the cakes bake much better in them.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 6:13am
post #101 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Make the cake with the custard!  We're talking two cups here.  That's very significant in a recipe.  The custard is what makes this cake delicious and unique.  Try it again with the custard and come back with a review.

And to answer the question from January, yes, the Gold Touch cake pans are far superior to Wilton.  Wilton pans are definitely not the best.  I am phasing out all my Wilton pans for Magic Line and Gold Touch.

Significant, yes but he very clearly says it's optional and that the cake will still be great without it, which is why I gave it a try. 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 10:27am
post #102 of 108

Give it a try again with the custard and see how you like it.  If you read this thread or do a search, the people raving about that recipe used the custard.  The ones who didn't use the custard don't like it.

RosieMcD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieMcD Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 2:39pm
post #103 of 108

I am in the process of making this cake now for my son's birthday party this evening.  I made the custard and had the same exact thought you did - this is sure runny!  I beat it a little longer than 2 minutes, thinking - like you, that it might thicken more.  I noticed it had a huge amount of froth on the top.  It also appeared to be more like a charlotte rousse than a custard, which is usually think by the time you finish mixing it.

I was very tired last night after I finished making fondant and was on the fence about making the custard last night or this morning.  I looked online, via a search, and found nothing about whether the custard needed to be at room temperature, cooled, etc. so decided to wait and make it this morning.  NOW I found a different printing of his recipe which says the custard has to cool in the fridge for 6 hours!!  

Our party is at 5:30, but we have to leave our house by 4:30.  I don't think there's any way I have time to let the custard sit for 6 hours, bake the cakes, cool them, assemble, crumb, frost and finish with fondant!!  I'm panicking because I really don't want to make the cake without the custard but don't have the 6 hours to wait.  

I'm hoping that it will thicken enough to use in less time.

Anyway - just wanted to let you know I had the same experience/thoughts regarding the thickness of the custard, so it's not just you.

ClaudiaFab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClaudiaFab Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:37am
post #104 of 108

AI've tried making both the vanilla with the custard and the chocolate. Didn't really care for either recipe. Both cakes were dense with a not so pleasant texture. Flavors were ok at best. I bake a lot and love trying new recipes. I was excited to do these when I got the book too but will never do them again.

cassierasco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassierasco Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 6:38pm
post #105 of 108

AIt's sad that most cakes, especially wedding, that look good tastes terrible , dry, or so so. I love the WASC recipe.

izzybeeZz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybeeZz Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 4:55pm
post #106 of 108

I tried making this recipe for a client this weekend, the cake tasted great though in my opinion but did anyone find the cake a more spongy texture?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 8:12am
post #107 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkbritt8 

He mentioned in one episode that he would never give out his recipes he uses in the bakery since they are family recipes. I would imagine the recipes in his book are not the same as he uses in the bakery.

How true.  Surely he meant exactly what he said.  Besides he uses box mixes in the bakery, correct.

Pbshunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pbshunny Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 11:07pm
post #108 of 108

I too just made a few of his recipes and was not impressed at all. The flavor was weird! I am trying to get a couple good from scratch recipes down for a cupcake bake sale I am doing. Was very dissapointed it didnt turn out! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%