Made Cake Boss Vanilla Cake Recipe

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 27 Jan 2014 , 11:07pm by Pbshunny

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:28pm
post #31 of 108

The book says it makes 24 cupcakes with no changes. My custard was very thick out of the pot and the consistency after refrigeration was like cold mashed potatoes... firm and kept the shape of the slice. I returned it to room temp before using in the cake.

The custard step is more work, but it could be kept on hand in larger quantities and used for other applications. And his "dump" method for the batter is a time-saver. The cake is two days old on the counter ad it has lost no freshness. I am taking the one out of the freezer today (24 hours) to see how it does. Buddy says to freeze or refrigerate if needed.

Does anyone think the custard could use less sugar (just 1/8 cup less)?

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:35pm
post #32 of 108

I just referenced the book and yes I missed where it said cupcakes.....thanks! I think I will give them a try tomorrow. It's just that sometimes I find when you use a cake recipe for cupcakes, they seem a little dryer, even if I don't over bake them.
I'm looking forward to this recipe!!

scp1127 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm
post #33 of 108

kello, I use Williams-Sonoma goldtouch pans, including the cupcake pans. You would not believe the difference in color and texture.

kello Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:42pm
post #34 of 108

Really? I will have to give them a try. I hate the cupcake pans I have. I have 150 cupcakes to do later this year and really wanted a great vanilla, but I have yet found a great recipe that I liked and wasn't dry.
I'm on it!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks.

scp1127 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:56pm
post #35 of 108

I tested the pans against the regular Williams-Sonoma and several other high quality brands... same batter, same oven, at the same time. The goldtouch cupcakes were heads above the rest. Same goes for all of their pans. I have some magic line in other sizes and they can't compete either.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:40pm
post #36 of 108
Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:13pm
post #37 of 108

vtcake, thanks for posting that link. Sounds like a good cake, but he only lists the page number in his book on the recipe for the Italian custard cream. I would like to try it with the custard in it, but can't find the recipe on the internet. Found one similar, so am hoping it will work. If someone would like to post Buddy's recipe, though, I'd try it, too.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:52pm
post #38 of 108

This blog has both the cake and vanilla custard cream recipe:

http://ashleelittle.wordpress.com/

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:16am
post #39 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

kello, I use Williams-Sonoma goldtouch pans, including the cupcake pans. You would not believe the difference in color and texture.

Agreed. Best pans ever.

kello Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:34am
post #40 of 108

Again I am frustrated with shipping!!! Williams-Sonoma doesn't ship to Cananda...WTH? The only stores they have here are in Toronto (4+ hr drive) and you can't order from them!
Anywhere else I can get these pans from?

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:40am
post #41 of 108

Unrelated to the vanilla cake...For those of you who scratch bake or are avid fans. When Buddy calls a cake "sponge" is it a true sponge or does he call all his cakes "sponge" I have heard him talk about the sponge for a cake they are working on and they come out with this huge hunk of cake that looks nothing like what I think of as sponge. Just askin' icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:51am
post #42 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kello

Again I am frustrated with shipping!!! Williams-Sonoma doesn't ship to Cananda...WTH? The only stores they have here are in Toronto (4+ hr drive) and you can't order from them!
Anywhere else I can get these pans from?

Unfortunately, they're a Williams-Sonoma exclusive. They are an exclusive line from Chicago Metallic.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:05am
post #43 of 108

I made the cake with the custard and my daughter was eating it like an addiction. I like the taste also. It didn't last long. I only made the custard because I hate throwing away yolks, boy am I glad I did.

I think the runny custard is probably more for the cake and they probably cook it longer for the filling.

scp1127 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:47pm
post #44 of 108

PistachioCranberry, mine was thick for the cake, but others had it runny and both have seemed to work.

Kello, try ebay. But... these pans are like nothing else on the market. I use them in my bakery. They are so good that I would save up to buy all I could, make sure they are all in stock, and make the trip.

Update... took the layer out of the freezer (24 hours)... absolutely no change!

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:44pm
post #45 of 108

This is very good information. Thank you all for the postings and the recipe link!! I heard him say he would never release his recipes, so I was hesitant about getting the book. I will definitely try this recipe.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:58pm
post #46 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbritt8

He mentioned in one episode that he would never give out his recipes he uses in the bakery since they are family recipes. I would imagine the recipes in his book are not the same as he uses in the bakery.

You got that right, they use cake mixes at Carlo's - fact!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:02pm
post #47 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbritt8

He mentioned in one episode that he would never give out his recipes he uses in the bakery since they are family recipes. I would imagine the recipes in his book are not the same as he uses in the bakery.

You got that right, they use cake mixes at Carlo's - fact!

How do you know that? I don't doubt it, but you "sound" sure!

I often wonder about his cakes, I mean, you see them stacking them high, like when they carved his wife ( icon_confused.gif I would hate me in cake form for my birthday) But you never see any support, except in wedding cakes. How can they stack cakes 5'6" tall without the bottom 5 or 6 cakes exploding? They must be like bricks. Plus, I don't remember seeing any filling or icing between the layers either. YUCK! And if they are that dense and dry, why don't they use cake for all the buildings? Everything is rice krispies.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 7:56pm
post #48 of 108

Hey, I'm hoping someone is still watching this topic. I made my third cake with this recipe this week, and I'm getting more and more convinced that this is my go-to yellow cake recipe from now on. I LOVE IT, so yummy , incredibly moist, and even I could sit and eat a lot of it, even though I make cake every week and don't usually get excited about eating it anymore. icon_smile.gif

I do have a question though for those who have tried the recipe with success. Did you get your layers to rise? I'm wondering if I don't need to add some more baking powder or something? I thought I got the batter to the right temp last time, but it still seems to be baking up at just SLIGHTLY higher than the level I fill the pan to. I don't have any other recipes that stay relatively flat like that, so I'm wondering what I need to do differently. I need this recipe to rise higher up if I'm going to use it for taller layers like for weddings.

Thanks!
Debby

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 8:27pm
post #49 of 108

OK Debby, at least I'm not the only one who can't get the cake to rise! Made the cake and custard exactly like the recipe states, (although it seems to call for a lot of custard and when my cake wouldn't rise, I thought there was a printing error) and the cake didn't rise at all! It was flat, heavy but very tasty. I couldn't eat very much but my dogs (Newfies) loved, loved, loved the cake! So what am I doing wrong? Temp was a little colder that 75 degrees, but everything else was exactly as the book specified and I cooked the custard, then cooled it overnight in the fridge. Came out perfect, nice and stiff. Any ideas where I goofed? I would really like to give it another try.

scp1127 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 8:38pm
post #50 of 108

When I made the cupcakes, I always test first and I found I needed to fill them to within 1/4 inch from the top. I didn't measure the cake layers. But the crumb was perfect. He notes that the custard does not contribute to the rising, so I guess it just rises les than most. My custard was extremely thick. I also use my chocolate thermometer to get the exact temp. The cupcakes looked very pretty and they do not brown.

DebbyJG Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #51 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyOma

OK Debby, at least I'm not the only one who can't get the cake to rise! Made the cake and custard exactly like the recipe states, (although it seems to call for a lot of custard and when my cake wouldn't rise, I thought there was a printing error) and the cake didn't rise at all! It was flat, heavy but very tasty. I couldn't eat very much but my dogs (Newfies) loved, loved, loved the cake! So what am I doing wrong? Temp was a little colder that 75 degrees, but everything else was exactly as the book specified and I cooked the custard, then cooled it overnight in the fridge. Came out perfect, nice and stiff. Any ideas where I goofed? I would really like to give it another try.

I wondered the same thing-- the amount of the custard. 2 cups is a lot of additional ingredients to be "optional", don't you think?
Although I don't know, it sure is yummy. What would adding some more baking powder, or the addition of baking soda, do to the mix? Anyone? I'm still figuring out the chemical reaction side of scratch baking. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:15pm
post #52 of 108

I followed the recipe exactly and it has come out perfect evert time. It is moist and dense, but as I said before, the crumb is small, but perfect. It rises very little. Are you sure you are doing something wrong? This consistency is like nothing I have made before... or eaten.

Mika0201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mika0201 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:29pm
post #53 of 108

I thought about making that same cake. Where do you find the custard?

scp1127 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:42pm
post #54 of 108

You have to make it first, chill for six hours, the bring it back to room temp.

DebbyJG Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:47pm
post #55 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I followed the recipe exactly and it has come out perfect evert time. It is moist and dense, but as I said before, the crumb is small, but perfect. It rises very little. Are you sure you are doing something wrong? This consistency is like nothing I have made before... or eaten.

Hm, okay well maybe I just need to double the recipe to fill up my pans. Because I agree- I wouldn't want to go fiddling with the amount of custard if that's what makes it taste so incredible. icon_smile.gif

DebbyJG Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:48pm
post #56 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika0201

I thought about making that same cake. Where do you find the custard?

In the book there is another recipe that you need to follow. (The vanilla cake recipe says "on page..")

scp1127 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm
post #57 of 108

Evoir put a link to it on p. 3

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 12:04am
post #58 of 108

You guys are enablers. I read this thread, and jumped over to amazon to buy his book. Can't wait to try this cake!!!

Mika0201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mika0201 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:54am
post #59 of 108

Well there's my problem. I printed the cake recipe from the TLC website. There's no recipe for the custard.

DebbyJG Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #60 of 108

Update of the week -- made this cake again, this time subbing out some of the vanilla and using some almond extract instead. Oh so good. Still not very much rising to the occasion, but man does it taste good.

I had some scraps last night with some milk chocolate ganache poured over top. Uuuuggghhhhhh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%