Need Some Help/advice About Gumpaste Please :)

Decorating By newatcakes Updated 3 Jan 2011 , 1:34pm by Caths_Cakes

newatcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newatcakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hello, I am new to making cakes. I love doing it, just dont do it often. I am making a large shrek cake for my daughters birthday in a few weeks and have decided to make some of the stuff out of gumpaste which I have never used before. Im wondering how far in advance I can make Shrek, Donkey, Cattials, etc. I would like to make it all the week before if I can. I also have no clue how to store it for the week. Can someone give me some advice please..Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 4

You can definitely start to make your figures the week before, or much further ahead if you have the time. I would recommend this because your figures will need time to set up properly, and you may find that your first Shrek doesn't come out the way you wanted him to so you have to redo it.

Store them in a lidded cardboard box when made (even a shoe box is fine). Plastic tupperware-type boxes can make the figures stay soft, which is not what you want. The figures will last forever once the cake is eaten, away from light and dust, or if your daughter wants to just put them on her bedroom shelves they will be fine for a couple of months but will fade after that.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 4

I make mine a week in advance and do just what dayti advises icon_smile.gif.
diane

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 4

Definatley make them in advance, thats fine icon_smile.gif once the gumpaste sets, there great to keep icon_smile.gif it means you can make everything ready ahead of time and not worry about it last minute icon_smile.gif Yup, store them in a cardboard box, Not in an airtight one!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%