Question On Outline And Flooding

Baking By mandymomof3 Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 6:08am by cheatize

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 3:55am
post #1 of 6

I am having trouble with getting my flood to "mesh" with my outline. The cookies look good, but you can definitely see a difference with the outline and the flood. Any suggestions to make it look like one consistent frosting piece?

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:13am
post #2 of 6

Have you seen this tutorial on decorated cookies:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/112/how-to-bake-decorate-cookies

HTH

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:40am
post #3 of 6

It sounds like your outline is getting too dry before you go back to flood. How long are you waiting between outline and flood?

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the help. I may try to do it without the outline next time. I outlined, thinned the icing, and flooded right away, but it still was quite obvious there was an outline, so I'll just have to try again. Thanks.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 6

i outline and you almost never see it.
i outline only 2 or 3 cookies at a time (depends on size) and then flood.
i take put the tip of my flood bottle right up against the outline and lay down a line of flood right next to the outline...then start filling in.
diane

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 6:08am
post #6 of 6

You outlined, then thinned the outline icing, and then flooded? I'm pretty sure the outline was too dry by then. I make my icing, thin part for outlining, thin part for flooding, and then go to work. When I'm decorating cookies, I'm working with either 2 bottles or 2 piping bags. One has outline consistency icing in it and the other had the flood consistency icing in it. It sounds like you're working with just one bottle or piping bag and having to outline all the cookies and then go back and flood them all. As drakegore said, I outline 2 or 3 cookies, go back and flood them (starting with the first one I outlined), outline 2 or 3 more cookies, flood them, repeat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%