I Need Help Please!

Decorating By dcarylmk Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 9:57pm by dcarylmk

dcarylmk Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 7

I have a client who wants a Harry Potter themed cake. He wants an open book with the head and shoulders of Harry popping out along with his hand holding a wand! I have searched the internet and came up with nothing! Any ideas?? Please

6 replies
audreygb Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

Do want ideas as to how would execute it?? i would suggest an open book cake like the sort you would do for a christening the use the same principle for spiderman bust cake for the harry potter. Not sure about the consrtuction of the hand rkt i suppose. If you sink the bust into the book it may make it look more like it's coming out the book......hth!!

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 7

I'll try to find you a tutorial for the Harry Potter doll tomorrow. If I do, I'll PM you.

You might be OK just making him come out of a burst from the page.

dcarylmk Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for all the photo ideas and suggestion!! icon_smile.gif My client wants this cake for only 20 people and I guess I just need how to execute Harry coming out of the cake with the wand in his hand. I did show him photos of the gumpaste figure that was on Flickr but he said it was to cartoony! I also showed him a photo of the open book, which he liked. Of course, he wants the cake for next Saturday!

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 7

You're welcome. You might have to do the "jumping out of cake" thing so that it doesn't look like he's just lost the rest of his body. Like this:

I do hope your client understands that figures make out of sugar are cartoonish. Plus, if they looked too real, they wouldn't be that cute. I'll look for that tutorial tomorrow. Hope I can find it.

dcarylmk Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 7

I believe you are right "imagenthatnj" about "jumping out of the cake". I think that it may be next to impossible to make a "realistic" gumpaste figure. I'm going to work on a head tonight and see what I come up with. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%