Do You Offer Military Discounts?

Business By cakegirl1973 Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 5:30pm by Navyempress

cakegirl1973 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 22

I was asked that today. It was something that hadn't occurred to me that it might be a nice thing to do. Made me wonder if this is something that other bakers are doing, so I thought I'd get some feedback. Do you offer military discounts and if so, how much?

21 replies
CakeryBakery Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 22

A few of the bakeries in my area does. We are still trying to decide if it's something new we want to offer this year. We are looking at 5 or 10 percent. Most in my area offer 10 percent discount

Crazboutcakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 22

Never really occured to me, no one has ever asked for a discount for the military or other wise, my thought is everyone has a reason to get a discount what next senior citizens? Not that that I am anywhere close to them getting a discount but it just opens up a bigger picture for eveyone to knock on your door for other reasons (girl scout/boy scouts/ other non-profitsetc...). But if compled to assist it's up to you! Good luck

cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 22

I was thinking about offering it but to active duty members and their immediate family. If and when I start it will be 10%

artscallion Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 22

The way I look at discounts is as a tool to bring customers to you, so they can get to know your work and become repeat customers at full price, not as a permanent, cheaper price once they've already found you.

So, if you can find a way to do that, like fliers in places you know the local military frequent, or an advertisement offering a military discount of 10% for orders placed during the month of July. That way you lure them in and can use all your other skills and tricks to turn them into repeat customers at full price, but you don't have to give every Tom, Dick and Harry who hears you give military discounts, but forgot their ID at home, cheap cakes for the rest of your life.

jason_kraft Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 22

Instead of a discount you may want to offer a bonus, like some free cupcakes. People tend to remember tangible bonus items better than an intangible discount, the bonus items are more visible to others (and you can highlight new flavors if you wish), and the bonus items are less of a financial hit.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 22

I live in the same area as one of the largest Air Force bases in the country and there are many, many places that will give a discount of usually 10% if you show a valid military ID. It does attract business to your company. I know many military folk, including family, who know which business gives discounts and uses them just because of that.

IMHO giving a discount to military is not the same as senior citizens, girl scouts, etc. It is a way to say a thank you to those who protect our freedom.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 22

Being a military spouse I get information that tells us of businesses that give military discounts. Some places will give it to you if you ask but don't require an id and other places will but you have to show your id.

For me I will go to an establishment that gives a military discount because they care enough to think about the military and their families. It's more than the 10% discount which isn't much. Just my 2 cents on it.

RachelRichey Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 22

If it weren't for the military you maybe couldn't have the business that you have or the freedom to speak your minds on this forum!

Just my 2 cents as an Air Force wife of many years!!

Elcee Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:07am
post #10 of 22

I live in a area with a very strong military presence. Many, many businesses here give a military discount. It's almost business suicide here not to. A lot of those discounts are limited, like some stores give 10% off one day of the week, or 10% off purchases of $100 or more, etc. As far as I know, providing the military ID is a must in order to get the discount.

Would you consider offering a discount just on a limited basis, say on cupcakes, or on cakes larger that 8 or 10 inches (or something along those lines, these arejust examples)? I simply don't see where offering a 5 or 10% military discount is going to hurt a business.

online_annie Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:30am
post #11 of 22

I offer a free 2 tier wedding cake to any Military couple getting married in our town. It's my way of saying thank you for our freedom.

Loucinda Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 3:03am
post #12 of 22

I absolutely offer a military discount. To ALL, active or retired, that is the least I can do for all they do for us.

tryingcake Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 3:12am
post #13 of 22

I offer a hefty 25% discount to active duty military and all 1st responders (police, fire, EMT, etc) required to wear a uniform to work. If they are plain clothes, then no.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:52am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

I offer a hefty 25% discount to active duty military and all 1st responders (police, fire, EMT, etc) required to wear a uniform to work. If they are plain clothes, then no.

Good idea about the first responders. We just had a deputy killed yesterday, it happened 15 minutes from my home. We are all sad in our community. This is a great way for me to say "thank you" to those as well.

UpAt2am Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:22am
post #15 of 22

From the day I started my business, I've offered 10% off for military orders (it's clearly stated on my website). That means if the cake is for someone active or retired, they get 10% off. It also means if the person ordering the cake is active or retired military (even if they're ordering for a non military person), they get 10% off. It's my way of saying thank you for their service.

I don't ask for ID, but usually it's very easy to tell. Most cakes that are for someone in the military have a military theme or aspect to them. As for the orderer, a lot of times, it just comes up in conversation and that's how I find out they were/are in the military. It's saved one of my bride's $50 off of her wedding cake! And she was soooo grateful. Made me feel good icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:23am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Quote:

Good idea about the first responders. We just had a deputy killed yesterday, it happened 15 minutes from my home. We are all sad in our community. This is a great way for me to say "thank you" to those as well.

This is a terrific idea. I have offered to this bride a military discount and will now offer the same to all military and first responders. Seems like that is the least that I can do, and I really don't think that a 10% discount will hurt my bottom line. Thanks to all who responded to my post and Happy New Year!

indydebi Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:30am
post #17 of 22

In my house,, "MOM" stands for "Mother of a Marine" (although I should change it to "Mother of Military" so my army-daughter doesn't think I play favorites!), so heck yeah I gave a military discount. The small town I lived in (right outside of Indy) used to be an army base and still has a strong military presence so I did a lot of military weddings. I gave 20% and it was for military, police and fire. It brought me a LOT of referral business!!

My very first one was for the granddaughter of a Tuskegee Airman. I actually got to shake his hand. It was one of my best remembered moments of life! I also got to make a 90th birthday cake for a Pearl Harbor survivor! thumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gif

I was never a stickler for showing ID or anything. All they had to do was tell me. Corny as it sounds, "I could just tell" ..... my "mom" radar could peg it from their conversation and how much of the 'jargon' they actually knew.

I would surprise a couple or two a year with a free cake or buffet and it was always a military couple. One year, a bunch of us vendors threw a free valentine wedding for a couple where he was shipping out in sometihng like a week after the wedding. It generated a full page story in the local paper. Can't buy advertising like that one!!!

JanH Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 7:15am
post #18 of 22

I sent decorated holiday (Thanksgiving and Christmas) cookies to my son (Air Force) when he was deployed last year. One baker offered a discount (and no, I didn't ask for one) and the other added extra cookies to the order when they heard his mailing address was an APO.

I will certainly remember that and use them again when I need more decorated cookies! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:44pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

j

I was never a stickler for showing ID or anything. All they had to do was tell me. Corny as it sounds, "I could just tell" ..... my "mom" radar could peg it from their conversation and how much of the 'jargon' they actually knew.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

and as the old saying goes once a marine always a marine!!!! icon_lol.gif

tryingcake Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:55pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Quote:

Crap! I hate hearing that. Being from a military and police family, it honestly is like losing one of your own... and brings the thought of losing a brother or uncle or other blood relative too close to home.

I'm so sorry for your community's lose.

SpudCake Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:57pm
post #21 of 22

I offer 10% military discount, retired or active. My husband is retired Air Force and my son is a Marine. I live in an "Air Force town". Almost everyone that comes in the door is military. I just feel it is the least I can do for them. They are the reason we are free to do what we want to do. Just my two cents.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Navyempress Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 5:30pm
post #22 of 22

When I was on active duty, I used my military ID instead of my driver's license when I was buying something (because it had a better picture! Haha.) and I was constantly surprised by how many places gave a military discount even if they didn't advertise it in the store.

Even though I've been out of the Navy since 07, my husband is still in (and plans to retire from it) so I use my dependent ID now. I will definitely choose one place over another if they offer the discount, not because it saves me money, even though it's great, but because it warms my heart when I see businesses show their support for all my husband and many other husbands and wives do. I will support your business more if you also support my family.

Close to 1/3 of my family is in or has been in the military: my brother, cousin, and aunt are in the Guard, my stepfather and one grandparent were in the Army, and one other grandparent retired from the Air Force. My husband is and I was, Navy. I will encourage my children to enlist one day as well.

Go Navy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%