How Do I Make An Ice Cream Cake?

Decorating By CakeMama625 Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 10:08am by doramoreno62

CakeMama625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMama625 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 7

I know the basics, but everything I'm finding online says to use cool whip for icing, doesn't sound very good to me. Can I use my regular buttercream on it? Any tips?

6 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 7

I don't see why not. I've never done an ice cream cake but I've frozen cakes w/a crumbcoat of BC and both the cake & frosting were fine.

Kristy

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 7

I would imagine that you could use buttercream, but keep in mind what icing tastes like when it is hard, if you have a recipey that works use it.

DaPom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaPom Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 7

I think buttercream will work fine. The only suggestion I would make is to make sure to use cream or milk and not water to avoid having icy type crystals in your frosting.
If you are making something where chocolate will work, I've used the really thick fudge topping and just whipped it a bit without heating to write on ice cream cakes before.
Let us know how it works.

decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 7

Buttercream works fine, but i prefer to use Rich's Bettercreme, you can add flavors to it also..

HTH

CakeMama625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMama625 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 7

I use Wliton's crusting buttercream. I use water in it so I guess I'll have to try it with milk. I was worried that when I take the cake out of the freezer to serve it that the frosting would still be too frozen to eat.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:08am
post #7 of 7

Baskin Robbins' ice cream uses softened vanilla ice cream to frost their ice cream cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%