Bedazzle

Sugar Work By pood Updated 19 Apr 2012 , 2:50pm by QTCakes1

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 80

Does anyone know how they get their bonbons so sparkly? I would love to do some of these for Valentine's Day. Their website says they use a special kind of chocolate but I don't know how they do this; it is fantastic! Any ideas? If you google Bedazzle My Bonbons you can see what I mean.

79 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 80

From their website:

What is the glitter made of?
The glitter is a combination of sanding sugars and cake colorings that have been around the food industry for years. The "glitter" is actually not glitter at all, but simply a food coloring dust that has absolutely no texture or taste to it.

What type of chocolate do you use?
The chocolate is our own custom blend of both a Swiss and Belgium chocolate, and is manufactured exclusively for Bedazzle My Bonbons. The glitter needs just the right chemistry of cocoa butter and diary products for it to stick, so the actual chocolate is our "secret" recipe and then we bedazzle the bonbons!

My take on it is that they color sanding sugar with a bit of gel/paste color, grind it in a food processor and then mix it with edible luster dust, essentially creating lustery/shiny colored powdered sugar.

As for the chocolate, I don't believe that there is some amazing, magic ration of Swiss & Belgian chocolate that creates a necessary "chemistry".

We often think of Belgian milk chocolate, so I'd just try mixing some milk chocolate with some dark and probably thinning it with a bit of veg. shortening. This leaves the surface less hard--a bit more oily-- and it would then accept the "bedazzling".

JMHO
Rae

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 80

wow i have never seen these before, will have to try it the way BlakesCakes thinks.

Can i use a coffee ginder, as i dont have a food processor

motherofgrace Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 80

What are Dazzle Pops?
Dazzle Pops are the newest addition to the Bedazzle my Bonbons product line. They are HARD CANDY lollipops, and the very first lollipops EVER to sparkle! All Dazzle Pops are 2.5 oz in weight and can be customized in ANY of our fabulous 24 colors! We currently offer a tutti fruitti flavored pop, however, if you have a specific color, shape or flavor pop you prefer, just ask, and we will bedazzle it!

HARD CANDY IS MY BIZ! how would i get it to stick on a lollipop?!?!

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 80

I there a website to see these bedazzle pops?
Thanks

pood Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 80

nancyg,
If you go to their website you can see the bedazzled pops. My question is the same for the chocolate, how do I get the glitter to stick to the chocolate? I ordered a sample and they are absolutely dazzling, even more so than on the website pictures. I just can't figure out how to do it.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 80

maybe they paint it on with confectioner's glaze? they're beautiful. i would also like to know.

motherofgrace Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 80

and how much luster dust to add to the sugar...... AHHH I really want to try lol

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 80

Those are truly AMAZING!!!
Im not sure if its this but I think its somthing similar to, Badazeles are surely more "badazelling" but i think its worth a try???

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-cookies-so-easy-its-scary.html

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNgEl_cUpcAkE

Those are truly AMAZING!!!
Im not sure if its this but I think its somthing similar to, Badazeles are surely more "badazelling" but i think its worth a try???

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-cookies-so-easy-its-scary.html

No, no, no--those cookies are covered in disco dust--very fine PLASTIC glitter--and not edible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bedazzled items are done with completely edible products!!!!!!!!!!

Rae

nancyg Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:55pm
post #12 of 80

How do you know it is all edible????? If so, what is it? Some people consider disco dust edible....Do you think that is what they mean?

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:59pm
post #13 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

How do you know it is all edible????? If so, what is it? Some people consider disco dust edible....Do you think that is what they mean?

I went to the website and read their FAQs. They tell you right there what it is--sanding sugar and luster dust (and you can buy EDIBLE luster dust, not just non-toxic). The site says nothing at all about disco dust.

As for anyone who thinks disco dust is edible--THEY ARE WRONG. It's non-toxic, but not edible. IT'S PLASTIC.

Rae

nancyg Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 80

I thought all luster dust was the same....Non toxic. Where do you get edible luster dust?

Anyone know?

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 80
Quote:

I thought all luster dust was the same....Non toxic. Where do you get edible luster dust?

Anyone know?

FDA approved, fully edible matte & pearlized food colors:

http://www.sugarpaste.com/catalog/orderPearlColors.htm

Gorgeous product--I use it all the time. If I want to pearlize a matte color that they make (edible petal dust/powdered food color), I mix some up using the white pearl, gold pearl, or bright silver.

Rae

motherofgrace Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 11:31pm
post #16 of 80

so how much luster to how much sugar do you think? and coffee grinder vs food processer

nancyg Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:05am
post #17 of 80

Rae, I know Beth Parvu have attended some of her classes. And I love the site.

But, all the edible products a pearl...where does the sparkle effect come in

Thanks,

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:14am
post #18 of 80

These bonbons are very pretty and the colors look amazing!

BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:22am
post #19 of 80
Quote:

Rae, I know Beth Parvu have attended some of her classes. And I love the site.

But, all the edible products a pearl...where does the sparkle effect come in

Thanks,

The sanding sugar mixed with the luster dust.

Rae

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:24am
post #20 of 80

FYI for Canadians: Golda's carries Crystal Colors if you are looking to avoid the duty and brokerage fees.

pood Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:07am
post #21 of 80

The samples I received don't seem to be pearlized, they actually sparkle much more than sanding sugar or edible glitter. The sparkle has no texture like sanding sugar just sparkle, also if I look closely I can see the chocolate. I can't tell if they are rolled in the glitter or if it is sprayed on. It does come off a little when handling the bonbons. I have tried painting luster dust on chocolate (both just painting it on and mixing it with lemon juice and painting it on) and I do not get the same intensity of color. When I pulverize the sanding sugar it has a white look. I have not tried mixing the pulverized sugar with food color. It seem that would be sticky or wet and the bonbons are not sticky.

BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:20am
post #22 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by pood

I have not tried mixing the pulverized sugar with food color. It seem that would be sticky or wet and the bonbons are not sticky.

No, it's not sticky or wet.

I don't buy colored sanding sugar. I keep white/clear sanding sugar on hand and color it by putting it in a zip loc bag and adding a few dots of Americolor in the shade I need. I close the bag and rub the sugar & color around.

There's always the possibility that they make up a mixture of colored sanding sugar and luster dust that they can pass thru a sprayer (you can spray chocolate thru a Wagner paint sprayer for a "velvet" effect). That would yield very even coverage. You could then enhance the shine by spraying on a thin coating of panning wax, maybe tempered cocoa butter, or even gum arabic.

Given that the sanding sugar+ luster dust formula comes directly from the maker's website, I have no reason to doubt it, but I'm sure they're not apt to give away all of their secrets.................

Rae

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 11:39am
post #23 of 80

Anyone try these yet!

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 12:33am
post #24 of 80

I posted a picture of my try at these. I don't think my covering is thick enough. Maybe they use a spray to get an even coat. I'll keep trying.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 12:52am
post #25 of 80

That's such an interesting concept! But it doesn't sound like they taste very good (according to this lady anyway): http://thevegasweddingplanner.com/2009/07/07/bedazzle-bon-bons/

I'm wondering if you couldn't use the colored cocoa butters that Chef Rubber sells -- I've seen bonbons done up with these colors airbrushed on them and they were every bit as spectacular. http://www.shopchefrubber.com/home.php?cat=1137

pood Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:11am
post #26 of 80

bobwonderbuns, is there a picture of the ones with the chef rubber cocoa butter? I would like to see them.

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:16am
post #27 of 80

I'll have to look and see if I can find one online someplace. A friend of mine sends me his old chocolate industry insider magazines and I see lots of cool pix there. That's where I saw those bonbons (I think they were done by Norman Love but don't quote me on that.)

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:19am
post #28 of 80

Okay this is the closest I can find right off: http://www.normanloveconfections.com/chocolates/

It's the bottom picture. That's NOT the picture I was thinking of in that magazine, which were far more shiny, like the bedazzle ones but I know that's not who did those.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:46am
post #29 of 80

I was looking at my snow dust and disco dusts and they all say that their FDA approved . The only one that is suppose to be non-edible is the highlighters. I could be wrong or put the wrong cap on them but I believe its all safe for consumption. But what I would do is spray the chocolate with an edible confectionary laquer and then when the stuff is still tacky dust them with a combo of luster dust and disco dust.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:43pm
post #30 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I was looking at my snow dust and disco dusts and they all say that their FDA approved . The only one that is suppose to be non-edible is the highlighters. I could be wrong or put the wrong cap on them but I believe its all safe for consumption. But what I would do is spray the chocolate with an edible confectionary laquer and then when the stuff is still tacky dust them with a combo of luster dust and disco dust.

Yep, wrong caps.

Disco Dust is NOT FDA approved, nor is it edible. It is non-toxic, but IT IS PLASTIC and the FDA only approves edibles.

Yes, the gold and silver luster dusts called Hi-lighter dusts are also not edible and are for decoration only.

And as for 'edible laquer'--well, it IS edible, but it tastes awful in any quantity.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%