Cricut Cake Cutting Blades?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 12:05am by leily

CiNoRi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 10

Hey guys!

I recently got a Cricut Cake Machine and ran across a sale on replacement blades at a local store. I figured why not go ahead and stock up. I picked up a few boxes... and noticed once home, that the new blades dont match the one that came with the machine. Am I crazy? Has anyone else noticed this? I assume there is only one blade type they sell. The new blades look like they come to a point.... where as the one that came with the unit, has a flattened angled side (like i would expect a blade to look like)

I plan to call Provocraft in the morning when they open. I just wanted to make sure that these will work when I need them!

Thanks all!

9 replies
CiNoRi Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 10

hey again!

Well i feel stupid... but I think i found an answer to my question icon_wink.gif
I just ran across a photo online of the blades out of the package.... and i think what im seeing is the non-cutting edge! ...I guess the blue is actually a cover over the blade it self?

doh!

umgrzfn  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 10

That is totally cute and so something I would do. But yes..the blades are covered. I am not sure if there are specific blades for the Cricit Cake vs. just the Cricut. However, I am excited to find out..I have the Cricit and my Cricit Cake will arrive at my door 1/5/11!!!!!!!

leily  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 10

I did the same thing icon_smile.gif then took the cover off of the replacement and realized the cutting edge was covered.

Since you both say you bought/received your cricuts recently, check out this promotion from ProvoCraft to get two free cartridges and an apron for $11 (s&h)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7025018-.html#7025018

CiNoRi Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 10

hahha Whew! I feel better now knowing im not the only one! icon_wink.gif LOL

umgrzfn: Yay! just a few more days! I haven't had a chance to play too much... but that is my goal this week!

leily: I followed the link in the post but id didn't work icon_sad.gif that would be a nice deal though! I'm actually looking into SCAL2 and Make the Cut... Do you by chance have any experience with either?

jenncowin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 10

I was curious about those programs as well.

Reyna  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 10

I noticed the same thing i just got mine in the mail. Both my husband and I agree that the replacement blades look much better. The blade that comes with the machine is probably just the first one they made and the replacements are improved. It has a longer cutting edge and less of a flatt edge on the back. Since the "cake" version don't have Deep Cut blades specifically for cricut cake I'm thinking this will work for all.

cake_architect  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

umgrzfn: Yay! just a few more days! I haven't had a chance to play too much... but that is my goal this week!

leily: I followed the link in the post but id didn't work icon_sad.gif that would be a nice deal though! I'm actually looking into SCAL2 and Make the Cut... Do you by chance have any experience with either?

i have SCAL2 and i love it! i use it with a free program called Inkscape and now i can cut whatever i want without a cartridge! i don't have any experience with make the cut, i have heard its a good program though! SCAL2 is fairly simple to use, you take any image, change it to .svg format by clicking a button, and the cut! and if you want to break an image up into pieces, say you want to cut a hello kitty and her dress in seperate colors, you can use inkscape to break apart the image and then cut it using SCAL. its awesome!

cake_architect  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:

i have SCAL2 and i love it! i use it with a free program called Inkscape and now i can cut whatever i want without a cartridge! i don't have any experience with make the cut, i have heard its a good program though! SCAL2 is fairly simple to use, you take any image, change it to .svg format by clicking a button, and the cut! and if you want to break an image up into pieces, say you want to cut a hello kitty and her dress in seperate colors, you can use inkscape to break apart the image and then cut it using SCAL. its awesome!

leily  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:05am
post #10 of 10
Quote:

you have to copy and paste the link that i did in my first post in that topic (for somereason the whole link doesn't work if you just click on it)

As for MTC or SCAL - i don't have any experience with them yet. There are a lot of reviews though in the forums if you search for the acronyms. I knwo two people in my area that have both so i'm going to try theirs before i decide which one, but after reading reviews i am currently leaning more towards MTC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%