Cricut Cake Cutting Blades?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 12:05am by leily

CiNoRi Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 10

Hey guys!

I recently got a Cricut Cake Machine and ran across a sale on replacement blades at a local store. I figured why not go ahead and stock up. I picked up a few boxes... and noticed once home, that the new blades dont match the one that came with the machine. Am I crazy? Has anyone else noticed this? I assume there is only one blade type they sell. The new blades look like they come to a point.... where as the one that came with the unit, has a flattened angled side (like i would expect a blade to look like)

I plan to call Provocraft in the morning when they open. I just wanted to make sure that these will work when I need them!

Thanks all!

9 replies
CiNoRi Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 10

hey again!

Well i feel stupid... but I think i found an answer to my question icon_wink.gif
I just ran across a photo online of the blades out of the package.... and i think what im seeing is the non-cutting edge! ...I guess the blue is actually a cover over the blade it self?

doh!

umgrzfn Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 10

That is totally cute and so something I would do. But yes..the blades are covered. I am not sure if there are specific blades for the Cricit Cake vs. just the Cricut. However, I am excited to find out..I have the Cricit and my Cricit Cake will arrive at my door 1/5/11!!!!!!!

leily Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 10

I did the same thing icon_smile.gif then took the cover off of the replacement and realized the cutting edge was covered.

Since you both say you bought/received your cricuts recently, check out this promotion from ProvoCraft to get two free cartridges and an apron for $11 (s&h)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7025018-.html#7025018

CiNoRi Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 10

hahha Whew! I feel better now knowing im not the only one! icon_wink.gif LOL

umgrzfn: Yay! just a few more days! I haven't had a chance to play too much... but that is my goal this week!

leily: I followed the link in the post but id didn't work icon_sad.gif that would be a nice deal though! I'm actually looking into SCAL2 and Make the Cut... Do you by chance have any experience with either?

jenncowin Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 10

I was curious about those programs as well.

Reyna Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 10

I noticed the same thing i just got mine in the mail. Both my husband and I agree that the replacement blades look much better. The blade that comes with the machine is probably just the first one they made and the replacements are improved. It has a longer cutting edge and less of a flatt edge on the back. Since the "cake" version don't have Deep Cut blades specifically for cricut cake I'm thinking this will work for all.

cake_architect Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

umgrzfn: Yay! just a few more days! I haven't had a chance to play too much... but that is my goal this week!

leily: I followed the link in the post but id didn't work icon_sad.gif that would be a nice deal though! I'm actually looking into SCAL2 and Make the Cut... Do you by chance have any experience with either?

i have SCAL2 and i love it! i use it with a free program called Inkscape and now i can cut whatever i want without a cartridge! i don't have any experience with make the cut, i have heard its a good program though! SCAL2 is fairly simple to use, you take any image, change it to .svg format by clicking a button, and the cut! and if you want to break an image up into pieces, say you want to cut a hello kitty and her dress in seperate colors, you can use inkscape to break apart the image and then cut it using SCAL. its awesome!

cake_architect Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:

i have SCAL2 and i love it! i use it with a free program called Inkscape and now i can cut whatever i want without a cartridge! i don't have any experience with make the cut, i have heard its a good program though! SCAL2 is fairly simple to use, you take any image, change it to .svg format by clicking a button, and the cut! and if you want to break an image up into pieces, say you want to cut a hello kitty and her dress in seperate colors, you can use inkscape to break apart the image and then cut it using SCAL. its awesome!

leily Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:05am
post #10 of 10
Quote:

you have to copy and paste the link that i did in my first post in that topic (for somereason the whole link doesn't work if you just click on it)

As for MTC or SCAL - i don't have any experience with them yet. There are a lot of reviews though in the forums if you search for the acronyms. I knwo two people in my area that have both so i'm going to try theirs before i decide which one, but after reading reviews i am currently leaning more towards MTC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%