Ideas Using Isomalt

Sugar Work By __Martha__ Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 4:18pm by dchockeyguy

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 10

I bought some Isomalt some time ago with the though of making a mould and beer bottles. That seems a little complicated.

I'd be interested to hear (and see) about other ways to use Isomalt. I know I can make "gems", but is there anything else.

Show me your stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
__Martha__ Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 10

Hmmm ... no one uses this stuff? Or is it that no one cares to share? icon_confused.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 10

I used it on this cake. I colored it and poured into cups of ice to make coral...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1604189

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 10

If you posted this in the candy making and pulled sugar, you'd probably get a better response. I have only made gems, but I know bubbles are popular. I have also heard of using it to make glass slippers and coral. I tried to make a screen for my blackberry but it didn't work. I also wanted to make a skating rink for a gingerbread scene with it, but didn't get to it this year. Nor did I get a response to my post.
From what I have read, blown sugar isn't as delicate as isomalt and therefore is easier to work with for many things. BUT isomalt does better in humidity and it better at standing up to extreme temps. I am also interested in knowing what else I can do with it because I have a couple of bags sitting around...

__Martha__ Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks snocilla and cakesrock. Great idea for coral, snocilla. I've done a Nemo cake (for my grandson). I wish I'd thought of it then.

Cakesrock - I LOVE the skating rink idea. I'll have to put that on my list for next year. After all the snow we've had - I am DONE with winter-themed stuff. icon_wink.gif Thanks for your suggestion on the the other forum. I didn't even think of candy making as I was looking for applications for cakes, but you are probably right.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 10

__Martha__, I haven't worked with it, but there are lots of ideas and techniques here:

http://www.pastryna.com/

Those are all back issues, and they're free.

__Martha__ Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

__Martha__, I haven't worked with it, but there are lots of ideas and techniques here:

http://www.pastryna.com/

Those are all back issues, and they're free.

Thank you! I have never heard of that magazine. That's going to keep me busy for a while!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 10

You're welcome. I love them. You never heard of that because they're for professional pastry chefs, but we can all play like that...lol. I thought about subscribing once and then I noticed that I just have to wait a little. I have downloaded them to my hard drive just in case they change their mind about sharing!

__Martha__ Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

You're welcome. I love them. You never heard of that because they're for professional pastry chefs, but we can all play like that...lol. I thought about subscribing once and then I noticed that I just have to wait a little. I have downloaded them to my hard drive just in case they change their mind about sharing!

Downloading them is a great idea. Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 10

Stained glass is another option, which I plan to start working on soon. You can pipe some royal icing and then put the isomalt where the glass would normally go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%