Good Basic Book Recommendations??? Help!

Decorating By pezadoodle Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 11:05am by pezadoodle

pezadoodle Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 11:07am
post #1 of 11

hi everyone!
i have dabbled in cake decorating for some time and picked up little things here and there but i would like to get a little more serious icon_biggrin.gif

i was contemplating taking the wilton cake decorating classes at joanns but i am thinking i could find a book on all of that info for a lot cheaper. i am looking specifically for info on things like how to stack cakes, and how to use all of the cool tools and tricks for stuff - for example global sugar art has lots of stuff i wish i knew how to use icon_razz.gif anyway something that is not so much how to do the DECORATING but more how to do the basic construction correctly also. and then some gumpaste & fondant info too like creating ruffles and bows. i have covered a cake in fondant before, i have cut gumpaste and decorated with it (i was given a cricut cake by provocraft) but it is always a bit of a nightmare as i think i am missing out on some basics...

ANYWAY any good basic book recomendations out there? i prefer books to videos...

10 replies
bakingatthebeach Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 11

I know you dont like videos, but you can type just about any question in on youtube and find someone with a tutorial on how to use the different tools. I find the flower books too hard to follow and then I see a couple of different videos on youtube and pick which works best for me. They even have videos on stacking cakes, icing cakes etc! And they are free!

Rusti Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 11

I would go with the Wilton classes, they are well worth the effort and will give you good hands on experience with the basics plus. You won't learn stacking with the Wilton classes unless you take the new Tall cakes Class. As a previous poster suggests there are some great tutorials online that can teach you stacking etc.

cheatize Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:57am
post #4 of 11

Check out your local library for books.

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:21am
post #5 of 11

You could buy the Wilton books if you want. I don't think there's one single book that will have all the basics. I do have a few old books from the UK where all the stacking and covering with fondant is taught, but I think every book I've bought has a section at the beginning where they teach you all this, and even give you a few recipes.

Among those are Toba Garret's Professional Cake Decorating, Peggy Porschen's books, May Lee Cledman's books, and also Planet Cake book. Planet Cake is very good, but they don't use buttercream under their fondant, they use ganache to get perfectly straight edges.

There are also a few blogs that teach:

It's not all in one place. You could definitely learn a lot from all the people who are sharing their knowledge all over the internet.

Karen421 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:46am
post #6 of 11

Actually, I would do all of the above! (actually - I did!) Take the Wilton Classes, check out the videos, read the threads on here, and check out the Library. There are so many books that are great, it's hard to pick a few, but I like the Planet Cake book. icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:53am
post #7 of 11

By the way, you can't beat the price of the Planet Cake book at Barnes & Noble. It's still just $5.99. Only because Paris Cutler has a new book (this time on Cupcakes).

pezadoodle Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:43am
post #8 of 11

thanks everyone for your advice!!! perhaps i WILL take the classes and check my library too!

shanney54 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 11

Toba Garrett's The Well-Decorated Cake is an awesome book! When I'm looking for a new book I look up different online and then go and look through them in the store. That way you know if it goes over what you want.

sccandwbfan Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 11
Originally Posted by pezadoodle

thanks everyone for your advice!!! perhaps i WILL take the classes and check my library too!

If you are going to take the classes at Joann's store, watch for their Class demonstration days because you can sign up for 1/2 price. I didn't pay full price for any of the classes that I took there because I signed up on those days.

pezadoodle Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 11:05am
post #11 of 11

yep i always wait for the half price days! i went into joanns yesterday and got the wilton cake lesson booklets - 4.99 each and some great basics to get started with! will be checking out my library next!!! always a good place to start but frustrating since it appears my library has not gotten a new book since the 1970s icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%