Advice On Cake Stands? Do I Supply Or Does The Bride?

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 3 Jan 2011 , 5:12pm by cakesbycathy

Donnabugg Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:37am
post #1 of 9

Hi there. I've been asked about doing a wedding cake in June. Just it standard for me to supply the cake stand or does the bride handle that? I don't have any so if so I would have to purchase. Thanks!

8 replies
Occther Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:53am
post #2 of 9

I have several different ones that I use. Sometimes you can rent ones from local cake shops or rental places. A lot depends upon what kind of stand they want. Some brides are perfectly happy with a cake on a disposable cake drum.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:06am
post #3 of 9

I supply them as well. I end up making additional revenue off of renting them to the brides.

idgalpal Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:34am
post #4 of 9

I always ask the brides if they might have a silver platter, or cake plate, or something that might have been something their grandmother had that they might like to use. So far, no one has had anything that they'd like to use, but they all love the idea! I give them a choice if they want me to supply something or if they want to supply something.

tracycakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:49am
post #5 of 9

I don't rent them. If they are interested in one, I refer them to a local party rental place. They are only a few blocks from my shop and have some wedding cakes on display, including one of mine. The rental place is supposed to be getting a book of stands they have available so that I can actually show them to the bride but they haven't gotten in together yet.

tryingcake Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 3:24am
post #6 of 9

I have a couple that I am willing to rent. But 99% of the time the bride already has something to use or doesn't care either way.

indydebi Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:20am
post #7 of 9

I owned a few that I'd use. If I didnt' have a specific one that they wanted, then they had to find it and provide it.

I was leery of a bride providing one of her own that wasn't an "industry standard" stand. Delivered one cake and the bride told me she'd have an elevated stand for me. The "plate" was actually bowl-like and barely the size of the cake! it was quite a trick to get the cake placed in it. I dont' like the "oh my gramma has something" comments. After that first one, I made them bring the stand/platter to me ahead of time.

leah_s Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 9

I don't rent plateaus, but refer brides to the florist she.s using (that's who primarily rents them in this area) or a local rental company. I'm not in the rental biz and don't want to be. If the supplied stand doesn't work for whatever reason, i don't use it.

cakesbycathy Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 9

After having a cake disaster with a home-made stand I now require the brides to either rent from me OR purchase/rent from the local cake supply store.

They also have to bring the stand to me by the time the final payment is due in case there is a problem then there's time to find something else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%