Castle Cake Help

Decorating By staceyjoensen Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 1:17am by cownsj

staceyjoensen Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 11

I am wanting to make a castle cake for my daughters 4th bday. The thing is, is that I can't get the Wilton Castle kit where I live. Do you think it's possible to make the towers out of cake or something of the like? Marshmallows maybe? Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated

10 replies
cakedoff Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:12am
post #2 of 11

If you have large round cutters, you can bake regular cake and cut circles, stack with b/c between them and top the two layers with upside-down icecream cones. I suggest putting a dowel down the center of each stack to stabilize. Hope this is clear enough!

King-Girlz Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:14am
post #3 of 11

I am planning my first castle cake this month. I was going to use this as a guide?
Hope it helps you...Good Luck!

http://www.cakeboss.com/CastleTutorial.aspx

nancyg Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #4 of 11

I used paper towel tubes, covered with fondant, with indents to look like stones. I also used the triangular cups like snowcone cups for the top of the towers, I covered the cups with fondant. Turned out great!!!

nancyg Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:39am
post #5 of 11

I used paper towel tubes, covered with fondant, with indents to look like stones. I also used the triangular cups like snowcone cups for the top of the towers, I covered the cups with fondant. Turned out great!!!

emiyeric Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:42am
post #6 of 11

My very first cake ever posted on CC was a castle cake. Towers were made of gumpaste, which I wrapped around paper twoel rolls and took out the rolls once it was dry. Easy, but you need to allow time for drying. HTH!

beth1819 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:44am
post #7 of 11

I use icecream cones as my towers. I use a 10" square as the base and a 4" square as the top. Then I use cake cones as the bottom of the towers on the 4 corners and in the center of the top. Just frost them the same as the castle and place them upside down on the corners. Then frost sugar cones in a different color and place on top of each cake cone! there is a picture on my website www.pieceofcakeshop.com under the children's birthday section in the gallery. Hope that helps!

beth1819 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:45am
post #8 of 11

I use icecream cones as my towers. I use a 10" square as the base and a 4" square as the top. Then I use cake cones as the bottom of the towers on the 4 corners and in the center of the top. Just frost them the same as the castle and place them upside down on the corners. Then frost sugar cones in a different color and place on top of each cake cone! there is a picture on my website www.pieceofcakeshop.com under the children's birthday section in the gallery. Hope that helps!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:46am
post #9 of 11

I did what Beth did. I used the 2 different kinds of ice cream cones. I bought the pink colored ones so I didn't need to cover the bottom. The sugar cones, I iced them and then rolled them in pink sugar crystals. My castle cake is in my photos.

soledad Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:51am
post #10 of 11

HI, Happy New Year! icon_biggrin.gif '
It just occur to me, how about PVC pipes? The ones that are use for plumming. At Home Depot they will cut it to size! For the tops of tower you could use the sugar ice cream cones, you can covered with fondant or just use it to form the tops. I have the kit, but I always think that I could have bought something more useful than this kit, because you will not use too regulary. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif HTH
CIAO

cownsj Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:17am
post #11 of 11

We used RKT. We've since learned that by covered them in candy melts, they will keep their shape, even in the heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%