Cake Ball Consistency

Baking By onize Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 1:26am by tokazodo

onize Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 5

I attempted to make some cake balls for Christmas using 1 cake mix and 3/4 to 1 can frosting. They seemed pretty mushy. I have had one somewhere else and they seemed to be more cake like. Everything I find either says 1 can or one lady even said use nothing. What tips can you share to help me because i think these would make great gifts at different times. Thanks! ~ PJ

4 replies
motherofgrace Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 5

only add in a tbsp at a time, it should almost be like a firm cookie dough

poohsmomma Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:52am
post #3 of 5

My cakes are really moist and I don't use any frosting at all in my cake balls. I just scoop the loose cake with a melon baller, pack it in real tightly and then pop that out. I mainly use chocolate cake and the finished cake ball has the consistency of a dense brownie. Yummy.

jenng1482 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:08am
post #4 of 5

I place my cake scraps on a cookie in a warm (200) oven for awhile. This dries the m out a bit. Then I put them in the food processor until a smooth crumb. Because I dried it out, i can add my binder without it becoming too gooey or slimy. I dont use icing, I generally use liquid flavored coffee creamers or liqueurs. I also try to add a complimentary ingredient with a different texture. For example - one of my most popular flavors is Chocolate Toffee Crunch. This is choc cake, chocolate toffee coffee creamer, and heath toffee bits dipped in chocolate and then sprinkles with a few more toffee bits

tokazodo Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:26am
post #5 of 5

Onsie, thanks for asking this question. In the fall, I made my first batch of cake balls. They were very moist because I followed the recipe to add the icing. They were good, but too mushy. (They looked okay)
Personally, I think I'd like more of a cake texture and look forward to trying the ideas listed above.

My addition: When I made them in the fall, I used white cake crumbs and added about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice. I dipped them in white chocolate and they were yummy.

I wonder how chocolate cake crumbs with some chopped dried cranberries would be dipped in white chocolate? Oh boy! I can't wait to try it!

I can't wait to try these again .

Thanks everyone for chipping in and helping each other.
I love this website!
New Years Hugs to all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%