Shoe And Shoe Box Cake For Next Week

Decorating By bakingmomma10 Updated 3 Jan 2011 , 7:14pm by Cakesue

bakingmomma10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmomma10 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:18am
post #1 of 13

hello bakers,
i have a shoe and shoe box cake to make for next week! could you please give me some advice on making this? this will be my first time making a cake like this, i'm super excited, but just need some tips! most importantly, how do you make the tissue paper that sticks out of the box a little? is that fondant or gum paste? also, the top for the box, is that cake as well or styrophom covered in fondant? thank you so much! oh one more thing, someone said that i could find the templet for the inside of the shoe on cakecentral, is this true? thanks again!! i've attatched a picture that my customer sent me, something like that i would like to make!

12 replies
lovecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovecat Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:33am
post #2 of 13

Hi,

I made one recently (November 2010) for my daughter's 21st, I didn't do the tissue paper (and can't find your pic attachment but that's probably just me)

I used the shoe template from here - just search gumpaste shoe - and it was relatively simple.

For the shoe box, I had my lid square on the cake, so it was just fondant over the top.

I found a really good tutorial on you tube - it was in 3 parts and was called "shoebox and shoe tutorial"

Oh - the template - if you do the search above it will bring up a link to the template also.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovecat Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:30am
post #4 of 13
Quote:

LOL - yes, that's the one I used - didn't like her shoe as much as the one on here though icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:56am
post #5 of 13

oh, sorry, didn,t read enough!! lol!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:57am
post #6 of 13

One tip - if you don't have a shoe kit, you can use a cheap new high-heeled small shoe as a mould for setting the sole of your GP shoe.

lovecat Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:30am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

oh, sorry, didn,t read enough!! lol!!

icon_redface.gif I didn't know if we could link to other places so I didn't add one - learnt something new!

I did have a wee bit of trouble just figuring out the stand for the template - but once I got that it was pretty easy.

Cakesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesue Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:38am
post #8 of 13

I made one for a staggette, kind of a sex in the city theme. The shoe was tougher because they wanted a specific shoe that was a closed toe. I ended up carving styrofoam for the gumpaste sole of the shoe to rest on because everything else just looked odd and that way I could get the hight of the heel I wanted. It take alot of drying time inbetween each stage so start right away. The tissue is done with very thin strips of gumpaste put thru a pasta roller and pinched at one end to give it a crumpled look. make more than you think you need. For the box measure your cake and cut the sizes you need and put them in the freezer for about an hour befoe you put them on your frozen buttercream cake. (if your box is dark make dark fondant so the cake dosen't show thru on the seams). For the lid I covered foam core (first cover with gel this will have the frozen fondant attach) then add the frozen strips that are a little longer than the side of the foam core, on the sides creating the lid., (make sure the underside and top of your cake is dark too so that you done see the white foam core or buttercream. stick skewers in or popsicle sticks in to prop the lid up and add the dry gumpaste tissue using royal icing. Hope this works for you .

bakingmomma10 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 7:08am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecat

Hi,

I made one recently (November 2010) for my daughter's 21st, I didn't do the tissue paper (and can't find your pic attachment but that's probably just me)

I used the shoe template from here - just search gumpaste shoe - and it was relatively simple.

For the shoe box, I had my lid square on the cake, so it was just fondant over the top.

I found a really good tutorial on you tube - it was in 3 parts and was called "shoebox and shoe tutorial"

Oh - the template - if you do the search above it will bring up a link to the template also.

thannk you so much for your respons!! i got some really good tips! =)

bakingmomma10 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 7:14am
post #10 of 13

thank you so much..really good tips! also, will freezing the fondant make it hard to cut? or will it thaw out in time before they cut the cake? another question, what do i use to put the cake and shoe on? i've been having trouble finding something that is sturdy to hold cakes but can't find anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakesue

I made one for a staggette, kind of a sex in the city theme. The shoe was tougher because they wanted a specific shoe that was a closed toe. I ended up carving styrofoam for the gumpaste sole of the shoe to rest on because everything else just looked odd and that way I could get the hight of the heel I wanted. It take alot of drying time inbetween each stage so start right away. The tissue is done with very thin strips of gumpaste put thru a pasta roller and pinched at one end to give it a crumpled look. make more than you think you need. For the box measure your cake and cut the sizes you need and put them in the freezer for about an hour befoe you put them on your frozen buttercream cake. (if your box is dark make dark fondant so the cake dosen't show thru on the seams). For the lid I covered foam core (first cover with gel this will have the frozen fondant attach) then add the frozen strips that are a little longer than the side of the foam core, on the sides creating the lid., (make sure the underside and top of your cake is dark too so that you done see the white foam core or buttercream. stick skewers in or popsicle sticks in to prop the lid up and add the dry gumpaste tissue using royal icing. Hope this works for you .

lovecat Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:23am
post #11 of 13

[quote="bakingmomma10"]thank you so much..really good tips! also, will freezing the fondant make it hard to cut? or will it thaw out in time before they cut the cake? another question, what do i use to put the cake and shoe on? i've been having trouble finding something that is sturdy to hold cakes but can't find anything!

I used a standard cake board (available at craft shops here in Australia)

I measured and pre-cut my fondant into the sizes I needed before freezing it - that was a brilliant tip - it's in the link above. Made it so much easier to get the sides nice and square if you know what I mean. It will thaw out well and truly before they need to cut the cake - I froze my pieces for a day, and assembled the evening before I needed the cake so by the next night when it was cut it was perfect icon_smile.gif

I would reiterate what someone else said ^^ make the shoe asap and make a few!! (although I made 3 and ended up using the first one LOL)

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 13

I didn't freeze my panels, covered the cake as I normally would with fondant, then just used 2 fondant smoother to crease the corners. For the lid (mine wasn't open), I cut the top panel and 4 side strips out of fondant with tylose added, let them dry for about an hour or two then glued them to the top of the cake with candy melts.

For my shoebox cake and my Cinderella cake, I used the template on this site and dried the shoe on folded card stock as shown by Boonenati on this site. I used thick floral wire for one shoe, the other I used a coffee stirrer in the heels to give extra support, I also let the wire/coffee stirrer stick up out of the heel a small bit and used that to attach it into the sole of the shoe. I made the shoe about a week ahead of time and it was plenty dry and strong. Both are in my photos.

I made an open lid for a treasure chest cake, for that, I used Rice Krispie treats on a cake cardboard and propped it up with dowels, glued on with candy melts. Could do the same for a shoebox lid, though I would probably use cake or just a panel of gum paste on a cake board with edges glued on as I explained above.

Cakesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesue Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 13

For the base, I used a mirror. It went with the theme of the cake. You have to watch out for what the mirror will reflect in your shoe box though. I forgot to mention that when you apply you sides to the cake you leave it on a board and then lean it onto the cake. That way your hand don't deform the edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%