Lounge By idgalpal Updated 3 Jan 2011 , 9:14pm by Kitagrl

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 6:32pm
post #31 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

My DH and I were out of work at the same time last year.

I'm sorry to hear that--it's a really tough boat to be in especially in this ecomony. So it sounds like maybe at least one of you is back to work now. Hope all is well now and getting better.

Yes, DH got called back to work after a few months.
Peace.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 6:57pm
post #32 of 70

I'd venture to guess that, based on the picture in the article, that she is working out of her home. I hope for her sake that she's started this business on the up and up because this spotlight on her will certainly bring the attention of HD officials or other grumpy souls (aka competing bakers in her area)who may question her legitimacy as a business and in turn alert the "cake police" (or the IRS!!!) to check her out.
Although, if her venture is truely "under the radar", I highly doubt she would've consented to being featured in an article or have a web site- but then again people have done stupider things in life.
At the end of the day though, I wish her the best and continued success. As we all know she will likely only get better with time and experience and I admire that instead of wallowing in the horror of supporting a family in these tough economic times- she's made the effort to do something constructive to get them by.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 9:29pm
post #33 of 70

There are plenty of people who were featured in media with unlicensed businesses who then were busted by the health department the next day. I can think of a few off the top of my head, in the town I'm in now and in Boston where I used to live. I think that people who don't know that they need to be licensed think that it would be great to be in the paper for publicity, but they don't know that it will open them up to scrutiny from more than potential customers.

Not to say that this woman is operating illegally, I don't know anything about her.I'm just saying that people advertising illegal businesses have been busted before.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 10:04pm
post #34 of 70

Remember this?

http://www.northjersey.com/bergen/Cake_baker_will_meet_her_mortgage.html

I think she ended up selling her original recipe to some big bakery and making a huge profit. Hilton Hotel helped her by allowing her to bake in their kitchens. Someone might do that for this other person.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #35 of 70

She's fighting back in a terrible economy. And it's not up to me to critize her for it, but instead I commend her for pushing forward. Do other people make better cakes? Yes, but I can say that about most people, pro and amateur alike. All that matters is that she has people who want her cakes and are paying for them. Good for her and I hope she's very successful and finds happiness in her new found career. As for the publicity, hell yeah, take it where you can get it. Those who don't like her cakes won't buy from her, but there will be those who do want them and she then has more customers.

Corrie76 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 10:57pm
post #36 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Remember this?

I think she ended up selling her original recipe to some big bakery and making a huge profit. Hilton Hotel helped her by allowing her to bake in their kitchens. Someone might do that for this other person.

Perfect example of how people can unintentionally catch the attention of city officials by being in a media spotlight. How petty that 15 others turned her in...It was fortunate that she got the donated kitchen space, but I bet a good chunk of her profit went to paying food handling fees, business permit, and don't forget the good ol' IRS - I'm sure she was on their special list of people to watch! I sure hope she walked away from this ordeal with some money to put toward her mortgage!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 11:42pm
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

Quote:

Remember this?

Perfect example of how people can unintentionally catch the attention of city officials by being in a media spotlight. How petty that 15 others turned her in...It was fortunate that she got the donated kitchen space, but I bet a good chunk of her profit went to paying food handling fees, business permit, and don't forget the good ol' IRS - I'm sure she was on their special list of people to watch! I sure hope she walked away from this ordeal with some money to put toward her mortgage!

Petty, no, against the law, yes. My shop was less than 1 mile from her home and I am glad she was turned in for operating illegally. Why should I have to pay a good chunk of my profit on fees, insurance etc and she did not. I have a mortgage too!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:06am
post #38 of 70

I really feel bad for these people who are just trying to keep a roof over their families head and they end up in more trouble. I understand that rules are rules, but it's a shame they were turned it. That doesn't mean I agree with them being illegal, it just simply means I feel sorry for them.

Corrie76 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:37am
post #39 of 70

PattiCakes- I stand by my "petty" opinion. In the grand scheme of things, I believe it is petty for turning in a woman baking apple cakes from her home. It's not like she was dealing pot, prostituting or robbing homes and mugging people to suplement her mortgage.
I honor your opinion that it isn't fair for you to have to pay the expense of being legal and she tried not to (I'm pretty certain she had to pay up all around by the end of this). At the same time though it's not like she was starting a lifelong career in the bakery business- the article clearly stated she did what she did with the specific goal in mind of paying her mortgage.
Fact of the matter is, is that some people play by the book while others don't (whether out of ignorance or malice). Probably the more Christian thing to do would have been to contact the woman personally and said, "hey I know times are tight and you're trying to earn some extra cash, but you should know X Y and Z, so you don't get in trouble...." at least give her a chance to correct her ignorance before doing the petty thing by turning her in to the city.

Just want to say I'm not trying to start a "Snark-Fest"
So have a happy New Year Everone thumbs_up.gif

Maureen1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maureen1954 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:45am
post #40 of 70

I second that "petty" opinion.

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:00am
post #41 of 70

I would just like to add my 2 cents worth. I love to bake, make cakes, decorate and I love to work with gum paste. I make cakes for family and everyone said I should go into business. I heard in Michigan that you can bake in your own kitchen, but you can only make up to $600.00 dollars a year?? I don't know if that is right or wrong, but hell I have a hell of alot of expensive baking, dec. things, and 600 isn't a spit in the bucket. My hat is off to the lady trying to make ends meet. It's bad enough that the goverment and the IRS wants every penny everyone makes as it is. Sorry , but had to vent. Happy New Years everyone and hope this is a better one than the last.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:25am
post #42 of 70

Here's my 2 cents....I can't believe how outspoken and judgmental people can be on this site..it's really quite sad. What if this woman was a CC member and is reading some of this garbage right now....sometimes I come to the forums for advice and to chat amongst people who have the same passion for baking as I do, but honestly, sometimes, it seems there's more negativity and judging and cat fighting going on - I have read more than enough threads about infringement rights and who is baking out of their home illegally and God forbid someone uses a Wilton pan and star tips for decorating - guess what? Some people like those kinds of cakes! Not everyone is in the market for fancy fondant $10 a slice pieces of cake for every occasion... I read the story about the woman and I thought it was awesome - she has a dream and she is going for it and everyone has to start somewhere.

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:41am
post #43 of 70

That's exackly right. Oh, I know everyone has an opion but everyone started in the same place ( at the beginning ). Everyone has there speciality, and I love this site with everyone helping with their ideas, and everyone has helped me out alot. Let's just keep baking and have a good time. icon_biggrin.gif

Corrie76 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:56am
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineJ

I would just like to add my 2 cents worth. I love to bake, make cakes, decorate and I love to work with gum paste. I make cakes for family and everyone said I should go into business. I heard in Michigan that you can bake in your own kitchen, but you can only make up to $600.00 dollars a year?? I don't know if that is right or wrong, but hell I have a hell of alot of expensive baking, dec. things, and 600 isn't a spit in the bucket. My hat is off to the lady trying to make ends meet. It's bad enough that the goverment and the IRS wants every penny everyone makes as it is. Sorry , but had to vent. Happy New Years everyone and hope this is a better one than the last.

Actually, if you stop by the IRS web site (lol, it's definately not on my favorites) you will learn that even if you make 1.00 doing anything at all then you must claim this to the IRS- But they also want you to claim the expense to create the item or service that made you money. So if you made 50.00 on a cake but are able to claim that 25.00 went into the expenses of making that cake, then the IRS is interested only in the 25.00 other dollars.....ummmm yeah probably not going to happen

disney16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disney16 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:36pm
post #45 of 70

I still use foil so I guess I better step it up a little. I do want to start covering the board with fondant but I haven't been brave enough to try it.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:57pm
post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandstuff

Here's my 2 cents....I can't believe how outspoken and judgmental people can be on this site..it's really quite sad. What if this woman was a CC member and is reading some of this garbage right now....sometimes I come to the forums for advice and to chat amongst people who have the same passion for baking as I do, but honestly, sometimes, it seems there's more negativity and judging and cat fighting going on - I have read more than enough threads about infringement rights and who is baking out of their home illegally and God forbid someone uses a Wilton pan and star tips for decorating - guess what? Some people like those kinds of cakes! Not everyone is in the market for fancy fondant $10 a slice pieces of cake for every occasion... I read the story about the woman and I thought it was awesome - she has a dream and she is going for it and everyone has to start somewhere.

AMEN!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 11:21pm
post #47 of 70
Quote:

It's not like she was dealing pot, prostituting or robbing homes and mugging people to supplement her mortgage.

I think we're all assuming that she's operating illegally and if so, then there's really not a lot of difference, is there? Breaking the law is breaking the law; whether you're selling cakes without a license or selling your body, right? One just doesn't sound great on the front page of Yahoo.

On the flip side, I am glad this woman is doing what she can to feed her family, and not riding on the government dole. I do think that illegal kitchens undermine legitimate businesses.

I really do wish her the best and I hope she becomes legal as soon as possible.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 11:59pm
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

Quote:

It's not like she was dealing pot, prostituting or robbing homes and mugging people to supplement her mortgage.

I think we're all assuming that she's operating illegally and if so, then there's really not a lot of difference, is there? Breaking the law is breaking the law; whether you're selling cakes without a license or selling your body, right? One just doesn't sound great on the front page of Yahoo...

Of course there is a tremendous difference. It's never ok to rob or mug people even within your own home and with your own family. It's ok to bake cakes.

I am not assuming she's operating illegally.
I'd be easily convinced she hasn't considered it either way but I don't know.

When it comes to selling cakes from home and breaking the law in one place travel a mile away, or across the street to find another baker operating completely within legal bounds from home.

You can't get an std selling cake. Not even close to being the same thing--great, huge, vast, enormous, infinitely different difference.

Take a friend or daughter for example would you prefer they sell themself on the corner or bake cakes. Does that reveal any difference?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:02am
post #49 of 70

A comment from someone who seems to know the aforementioned baker. I guess, after all, we're all assuming she's baking illegally, but she's not, and it looks like she has two bakeries now...star tips, foil-covered boards, and all. If that's true, good for her.

"Suzanne Lucas just can't write. She leads the reader to believe Patti just started baking cakes at home and continues to bake from her home. Patti needed start up money, an insurance underwriter, had to pass public health inspections of her facilities, proper training for employees, purchasing very expensive ovens, rent for the two bakeries, not mention renovation of two buildings to accommodate bakeries, finding suppliers, a very very very good line of credit so the aforementioned suppliers would start supplying her with the various materials required to bake cakes."

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:03am
post #50 of 70

-K8memphis : Well said! Amen!!! Are we seriously comparing apples to apples? Or apples to oranges?

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:15am
post #51 of 70

I don't see a sob story in the article about a woman struggling to put food on the table. The way it reads is that she received a severance package and used it to start her dream cake business. Am I missing something here? Is she legal? Not sure...don't personally care. But it appears that rather than searching for another corporate job, she used this as an opportunity to start her own business and spend more time with her family on her terms. The article doesn't read as a woman down and out, but rather an entrenpeneur using her severance package to start a business. Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see what you're all talking about.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:36am
post #52 of 70

Wow. Just wow.

Ever think this lady could be a member here???? Even if she's not, she could pretty easily find this thread using a Google search.

I think its unfair that people are tearing down her cakes, and unfair that people are automatically assuming she's illegal. Its her OWN business if she's legal. (And I can tell you, being in PA, the Dept of Ag is so backed up its gonna be a long time before they even give her a second look....even if she happens to be unlicensed....just sayin'.....)

I live in PA. I'm legal. And know what? I could NOT care LESS what this lady does. She doesn't live too far from me, maybe 50 minutes. And if I don't care...why should anyone else here? I hope she was able to earn enough for Christmas.

Be glad YOU still have YOUR job.

Next topic please?

pammm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammm Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:46am
post #53 of 70

my opinion is that the cakes are very amateur and probably wouldn't bring a competitive price.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:00am
post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Wow. Just wow.

Ever think this lady could be a member here???? Even if she's not, she could pretty easily find this thread using a Google search.

I think its unfair that people are tearing down her cakes, and unfair that people are automatically assuming she's illegal. Its her OWN business if she's legal. (And I can tell you, being in PA, the Dept of Ag is so backed up its gonna be a long time before they even give her a second look....even if she happens to be unlicensed....just sayin'.....)

I live in PA. I'm legal. And know what? I could NOT care LESS what this lady does. She doesn't live too far from me, maybe 50 minutes. And if I don't care...why should anyone else here? I hope she was able to earn enough for Christmas.

Next topic please?

thumbs_up.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:14am
post #55 of 70
Quote:

Wow. Just wow.

Next topic please?

well said kitagrl! and k8! ya'll are so down to earth, i love it thumbs_up.gif

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:26am
post #56 of 70
Quote:

Remember this?

It amazes me how quickly people call to turn someone in not knowing the plight of the person they are reporting. Sometimes what they are doing could be the difference between homelessness or resorting to worse illegal activity. If they are operating an illegal business, it will be found out. We as human beings can be so jealous and vindictive. It frightens me sometimes. I just let people live. This world is big enough for us ALL to do our things and live happily while doing them. You'd be surprised if you found out how many of the businesses we frequent started out "under the radar" and are now legitimate operations.

cupcake_cutie Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:31am
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxphire1

Quote:

Remember this?

It amazes me how quickly people call to turn someone in not knowing the plight of the person they are reporting. Sometimes what they are doing could be the difference between homelessness or resorting to worse illegal activity. If they are operating an illegal business, it will be found out. We as human beings can be so jealous and vindictive. It frightens me sometimes. I just let people live. This world is big enough for us ALL to do our things and live happily while doing them. You'd be surprised if you found out how many of the businesses we frequent started out "under the radar" and are now legitimate operations.

thumbs_up.gif

cupcake_cutie Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:32am
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxphire1

Quote:

Remember this?

thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:34am
post #59 of 70
Quote:

Wow. Just wow.

Next topic please?

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif Well said! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:57am
post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Oh and Pa home bakery rules vary by county.

Just an FYI, Ohio is regulated by the state's Dept of Agriculture and does not vary by counties.

Well said K8 and Kitagirl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%