Story On Yahoo.com

Lounge By idgalpal Updated 3 Jan 2011 , 9:14pm by Kitagrl

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 70

Did anyone see the story about the gal in PA who got laid off and is now making cakes icon_surprised.gif yep, she charges less than a bakery for her cakes because she's just starting out...hmmmmmmm...hmmmmm
icon_rolleyes.gif just wondering what the laws are in PA for home bakers.

69 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 70

Good for her. Trying to keep her family going. That is exactly the way I started out too.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 70

The laws in Penn. vary by county according to the business forum. A gals gotta do what a gals gotta do to get by. These are hard times for everyone. I thank God every day for my nursing job, but if something ever happens and I need to keep food on the table and a roof over my familys head, I would be doing the same thing!

patticakesnc Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 70

Oh and Pa home bakery rules vary by county.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 70

Yeah I just want her to ditch the photos of the copyrighted stuff now that she's got everyone's attention.
<mercy>

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:01am
post #6 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Yeah I just want her to ditch the photos of the copyrighted stuff now that she's got everyone's attention.
<mercy>

True!!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:12am
post #7 of 70

I live in PA. The laws regarding home bakeries do not vary from county to county. Which office governs food establishments is decided by the municipality you live in.

If the municipality you live in (city, town, township, borough, village) has it's own health department, then that health department is the governing body regarding health matters. The reason that the municipality's laws are allowed to supercede state regulations is because, usually, municipal laws regarding health matters are stricter than state laws. If the municipality does not have it's own health department, then the state department of health is the governing body, and their laws are enforced with the assistance of the state department of agriculture's cooperative extension. There is a cooperative extension in almost every county in PA.

Matters of code enforcement (equipment, wiring, plumbing, etc) are also governed the same way.

The area I live in has it's own health department, and it does not allow for home bakeries. A municipality two towns west of me does. Another municipality three townships north of me requires a separate kitchen from the family-accessible areas.

Unfortunately, this lack of across-the-board laws causes a lot of confusion here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:23am
post #8 of 70

Good to know Theresa. I was going by the information listed on the stick here under the business forum.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:25am
post #9 of 70

Would someone please post the You Tube cite. I'd like to see it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:27am
post #10 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Good to know Theresa. I was going by the information listed on the stick here under the business forum.

De nada. There's been an ongoing debate about who rules here in PA. I try, but sometimes I just can't get the point across. Glad to see my words took hold this time. Thanks for making my day.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 2:33am
post #11 of 70

I still want to see the article.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 2:40am
post #12 of 70

can someone post a link to the article? I can't find it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 2:43am
post #14 of 70

Lord knows I have some bad cake photos (even butter cream stars lol) but geez, the girl was laid off, as if that wasnt degrading enough, its just not cool to try to start an uprising on someone elses bad fortune.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:11am
post #15 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Her cakes aren't all that. Droopy fondant, buttercream stars, Wilton shaped pans, cake boards covered in ordinary foil????? icon_surprised.gif

Let them who are without droop cast the first cake ball.

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:02am
post #16 of 70

I just want to throw my 2 cents in here as a person who does this for fun. I am not a professional like a lot of you, but I really enjoy doing this. This lady had bad luck and tried to help her family.... We are not the cake police, and as many have said before~~ there are a lot of people on here that are not licensed/legal. I don't care what other people do, but I don't feel we should knock the talent or lack there of on here. This is a great site and it would be nice to keep it positive. It is a new year, wouldn't it be nice if we could all help each other and learn from each other- & not pick on others products. Just my opinion...
By the way- Happy New Year Cakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:07pm
post #17 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingatthebeach

Lord knows I have some bad cake photos (even butter cream stars lol) but geez, the girl was laid off, as if that wasnt degrading enough, its just not cool to try to start an uprising on someone elses bad fortune.

Where's the uprising? Just stating opinions.

Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:16pm
post #18 of 70
Quote:

Quote:

Her cakes aren't all that. Droopy fondant, buttercream stars, Wilton shaped pans, cake boards covered in ordinary foil????? icon_surprised.gif

I may droop, but I'm not allowing myself to be featured on yahoo. If she posted her pics on CC, and asked "am I ready to do this professionally" you know the answer would be to practice more and make the cake boards look better.

Julie53 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:25pm
post #19 of 70

Probably true- but done in a positive, constructive way I would hope...

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:12pm
post #20 of 70

I think her cakes are cute and I also think she caters to a different market than most of the cakers on this site. I wouldn't order a wedding cake from her but I wouldn't hesitate to order a different type of cake from her either. Plus, I didn't see in the article that she works from her home, although the picture sure makes it look like she does. The article states she works in suburban PA but I wouldn't assume that means she is working out of her home (although she likely is).

Kudos to her for stepping up. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:20pm
post #21 of 70
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I may droop, but I'm not allowing myself to be featured on yahoo. If she posted her pics on CC, and asked "am I ready to do this professionally" you know the answer would be to practice more and make the cake boards look better.

It's not like she doesn't already know that.
She's already selling--she's unemfreakinployed!!!!
And she didn't ask.
It's her moment in the spotlight--she could use some good news, support, helpful kind words.
Getting laid off sucks big ones. Depression is almost inevitable.
Cake Central is not the be all end all of cake decorating sensibility.
She's not on yahoo to make Colette, Duff and Toba move over.
It's a teeny tiny success story for someone who's feeling the flames, man.

Just stop, please, Sangria.

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #22 of 70
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And she didn't ask.
It's her moment in the spotlight--she could use some good news, support, helpful kind words.
She's not on yahoo to make Colette, Duff and Toba move over. It's a teeny tiny success story for someone who's feeling the flames, man.

Well said K8.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:32pm
post #23 of 70

Good for her!!! I hope she is very successful!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Julie53 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:42pm
post #24 of 70

K-8 I agree- well said... sometimes people judge more than they should. Oh well new year- I am really glad for that woman! I would probably do the same thing.

Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:52pm
post #25 of 70
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And she didn't ask.
She's not on yahoo to make Colette, Duff and Toba move over.
It's a teeny tiny success story for someone who's feeling the flames, man.

Just stop, please, Sangria.

Stop what?????????????????? I find it ironic that it's not ok to state my opinion that her fondant is droopy, but it's ok for you to jump all over me. And BTW, don't lecture me about unemployment. My DH and I were out of work at the same time last year.

Julie53 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:00pm
post #26 of 70

I think what people are saying is... ok if you were to put your pictures on your profile & the better decorators got negative and started picking on your photos- it would probably hurt your feelings.Maybe~ maybe not...

Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:07pm
post #27 of 70

Has anyone noticed that I did not say anything to this particular person? I made a comment on a forum.

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:14pm
post #28 of 70

Good for her! I live in PA and know it's not an easy venture to start an in home bakery in my area. As long as she's clean and abiding by her counties rules I'm happy for her! She's not taking business from me and isn't this site a place to come for encouragement, constructive feed back and an occasional idea? Best of wishes to all of you in the coming year and may your baking business prosper!

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:20pm
post #29 of 70

First ... Happy New Year everyone! I just wanted to add my two cents. I am self-taught, live in PA and have pondered starting something on the side, but just don't have the time right now so only make cakes for fun for family and friends when they ask. I started a little over a year ago and have definitely learned A LOT. I would like to say that my cakes are ok but there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

I commend Patti for taking a brave step and supporting her family after losing her job. It is obvious just from looking at the website and photos that she probably isn't making near the amount of money she was in her corporate job, but at least she didn't crawl into a hole and sulk or sit on the couch. To be honest, I am somewhat of a perfectionist and pretty picky and probably wouldn't order a cake from her. Mostly because I can do it myself so why would I spend the money. HOWEVER ... I have found by doing these cakes that a lot of people don't realize the same flaws on a cake that we may because they don't know what to look for. I have already sent my mom pictures from bakers websites of wedding cakes that I was appalled they posted because they were horrible .. fondant clearly messed up, running colors .. etc ... but she couldn't pick out the flaws until I pointed it out.

it is truly about personal preference and if she can supplement her income or be happy in the meantime then I say "Go for it!"

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 6:05pm
post #30 of 70
Quote:

My DH and I were out of work at the same time last year.

I'm sorry to hear that--it's a really tough boat to be in especially in this ecomony. So it sounds like maybe at least one of you is back to work now. Hope all is well now and getting better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%