Can I Make Chocolate Bc Turn Red

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 1 Jan 2011 , 12:56am by tiggy2

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 18

Can I turn Chocolate BC red? I am doing a mini mouse cake, one tier is red, and the whole cake is done in chocolate. RED IS A NIGHTMARE to try and make from white BC, so can I do the red tier with chocolate BC as a base, and turn it red??? mini mouse red is a rich red...just want to hear your thoughts!

17 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 18

No.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 18

Easier to start with pink. What brand coloring are you using?

ConfectionsCC Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 18

I was going to use wilton no taste red, but is there another brand that works better that won't make the icing bitter? And while making red bc, it always turns out pink, so not really sure why"starting with pink" should matter???? I will still be making pink that will turn to red right!?!?!?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 18

americolor super red is great but don't forget to let it sit after you make it, as it will darken with time.

ConfectionsCC Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 18

To get that nice red color, If I am using one single BC recipe (I use edna's) How much color should I add? Wilton is 1oz bottles, americolor is .75 oz bottles...need an entire bottle???

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 18

I am not sure but I don't think that you will need a whole bottle of americolor's. I never pay attention to that. I just go by how it looks.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 18

Chefmaster liqua gel has no bitter taste, takes very little and no need to let sit to intensify, you get red instantly.

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 18

To get an 'Elmo' red I needed 1.5 bottles of Wilton red red for 1 lb of frosting.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 18

Holy crap that's a lot of coloring!

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 18

Yup. But the damn thing wouldn't go red enough otherwise. I'm still trying to get it out of my tupperware!

ConfectionsCC Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 18

THANK GOODNESS I got a set of stainless steel bowls for xmas so I won't have to fool with plastics holding colors and flavors or glass ones breaking (I have trouble with glass, I seem to break it every time I touch it...its a curse) I will buy the chefmaster or americolor. americolor is sold at hobby lobby, but the chefmaster i have to order..we will see!

tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 10:32pm
post #13 of 18

Chef master only takes a few drops so it's a money saver.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

I was going to use wilton no taste red, but is there another brand that works better that won't make the icing bitter? And while making red bc, it always turns out pink, so not really sure why"starting with pink" should matter???? I will still be making pink that will turn to red right!?!?!?

Some people have had good luck using "hot pink" coloring first, then adding red.

Sangriacupcake Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Chef master only takes a few drops so it's a money saver.

OK, I want some!! why have I never heard of this before? Are any colors especially superior to other brands?

tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:35pm
post #16 of 18

Red and black are superior to anything else I have ever used. I get it from Dixie's Icing locally but you can do a google search and there are several sites that sell it. I used it for the catsup on my hamburger cake if you want to see how red it is. I used it as soon as I made it so it didn't sit to get darker.

Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:31am
post #17 of 18

Thanks, tiggy2!

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:56am
post #18 of 18

You're welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%