Smooth Fondant

Decorating By Bernie04 Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 2:39pm by cakesrock

Bernie04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bernie04 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:54am
post #1 of 8

Hello, I'm new to this website. I've been making cakes lately covering them with fondant. A couple of times I have noticed little bulges where the filling line is. So from afar I can see where the layers are. How do I get it totally smooth?

7 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:58am
post #2 of 8

Hi- welcome to CC! I'm sure you will find lots of great help and ideas here...

Are you letting your cakes settle? If not, that would be your bulging issue. I usually let them settle overnight, but if you want to speed up the process, then just put something heavy (like a tile) on top for an hour or two. And make sure you are doing a thick dam...
HTH!

Bernie04 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 1:09am
post #3 of 8

Thank you for your reply. I don't think I'm letting it settle enough. It looks fine when it's frosted, but after the fondant is on is when I can see it. I don't need alot of frosting right?

cakesrock Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 2:22am
post #4 of 8

No, you only need a thin layer of icing for the crumbcoat (underneath the fondant. ) You should still be able to see the cake through your crumbcoat. Is that what you meant?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:01am
post #5 of 8

I also wrap the cake in plastic wrap and put a ceramic tile on top while it is resting overnight. (tip from Leah_s) I picked up tiles at the hardware store for about $1 each.

Bernie04 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 8

While the cake is resting, is it in the refrigerator? I hope these questions aren't too lame.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:27am
post #7 of 8

depending on the kind of frosting. I use a crusting frosting that does not need to be refrigerated. if im in a pinch i put the tile on top of the 2 slices but i prefer to let them settle over night.

cakesrock Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie04

While the cake is resting, is it in the refrigerator? I hope these questions aren't too lame.

Not lame at all - depends if you use perishable filling or icing. If you use cream cheese icing and filling, then must be in fridge, but if you use Sugarshack's crusting BC (which I recommend) and WASC, then you are fine to leave on the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%