Baking By hollyheartscuppycakes Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 4:47am by scp1127

hollyheartscuppycakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know what the best way to ship cupcakes is? I was thinking a cake box with the individual cupcake inserts but it seems I would need something else to keep them from flopping around. Any ideas?
I figured the frosting would have to be sent on the side. If i ship them anywhere warm what would be the best way to package them?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!!!

6 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 7

check the archives. this question has been addressed several times.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

hollyheartscuppycakes Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:11am
post #3 of 7

So I've went back 5 pages. I saw one topic about shipping. So everyone is wrapping them in plastic wrap and sending them out? Any other ways? And where do you find instulated shipping boxes?

bakencake Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:24am
post #4 of 7

Jessicakes tried it, well, a cake. here is her link. it's at the bottom. good luck

for the icing try a crusting butter cream that needs no refrigeration.

aces413 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:04am
post #5 of 7

I shipped cupcakes recently and it didn't turn out well at all. I used a cupcake box with the inserts and poked lollipop sticks through each cupcake so that they wouldn't get smushed if they went upside down. Then I put them in a shipping box and filled it with packing material on all sides, top and bottom. The cupcakes were frozen when I shipped them, and I included 2 ice packs in the shipping box. I live in Delaware and shipped one box to Tennessee, and the other to Washington, DC, using USPS Priority Shipping. The DC cupcakes were bad, but not as bad as the TN cupcakes. The TN cupcakes took an extra day, so they had to withstand another day of being thrown around and stomped on. Oh, I also covered the box with FRAGILE, THIS SIDE UP and PERISHABLE. They didn't listen. Luckily these cupcakes weren't for customers...I was test-shipping to my mom and a friend. I learned what NOT to do, but not so much about what works...I've been told I need to try dry ice (I think it would keep the cakes and frosting frozen, thus more difficult to ruin).
I was thinking of trying a modified version of this:
I've tried using mounting squares to stick the bottoms of the cupcakes to the box, but the squares won't stick to the cupcake bottom.
Well, take a look at my failures!....

OK nevermind, I'm failing at adding attachments for some reason...

bakencake Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:57am
post #6 of 7

My friend's husband was a manager at ups. I have heard lots of stories about how they have a number quota of boxes that they need to get out of the ware house ASAP. She said that most of the Fragile and Careful signs really dont mean much to guys beating the clock.

scp1127 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:47am
post #7 of 7

Put them uniced on a piece of cardboard. I use my food saver to pack, but just pack securely for preservation. Put icing in a zip lock bag with a corner marked where to snip for an instant piping bag. Include instructions. Everyone likes to ice a cupcake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%