Question About Coloring Fondant...

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 11:00pm by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 12

I was coloring fondant yesterday and after I colored it I found that they fondant was almost tearing when I rolled it over my cake. I had to take it off and completely redo it with new fondant. Why does fondant do that when it's colored? It's there a way around having this happen?

Also, while I'm asking questions, what's the best way to color gum paste? Anytime I've colored gum paste it takes forever to dry and has become almost sticky to work with. I was coloring it red and of course it took a lot of red to get it a pretty red. Any ideas?

Thanks!

11 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:07am
post #2 of 12

The coloring is like adding extra liquid, so you have to reduce your liquid (if you are making your own MMF) or add a little more icing sugar.

With gumpaste-same idea... you can add a bit of tylose powder (or gumtex- same thing). I also use a fondant mixed with tylose instead of gumpaste for most things. It's cheaper and doesn't dry out as fast. I only use gumpaste if I need it rolled really thin (for flowers or a shoe or something).

For red, I recommend "super red" - you use a lot less. There are many different brands, but I like Americolor

HTH!

SugarMama5 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 3:08am
post #3 of 12

Yeah that does help if I'm making it from scratch. What about if it bought? I was using Satin Ice... What would I add to it? Icing sugar?? I like fondant but sometimes it's so tricky!

Cheriepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheriepie Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:37am
post #4 of 12

Hi SugarMama5,
About 8 years ago I took classes from the European Satin Ice Representative. He cleared up alot of handling procedures for me. I saw people using different things to roll it out and knead it, I am confident that I learned it the right way from the company.
If you are adding the color by kneading it into the Fondant, all you will need to do, is knead in a little cornstarch to tighten it up. Icing sugar is not recommended because it is a raw sugar it will actually break it down, structurally.
Never use heat or add water. If you are adding liquid color, always "knead" it. Do not add it in a mixer. Fondant has to be kneaded to develop the gums and starches. If you don't knead it, it will tear.
If you have "paste colors" instead of liquid colors, use them. It will also cut down on the loose-ness.
Hope that helps a little. Sorry I am so technical.... it's my job. icon_smile.gif

SugarMama5 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:47am
post #5 of 12

I love how technical you are! Fantastic! Solo good to know about corn starch. I never would have thought of that. I'm dying to go add it to my fondant...

Does the same thing apply with gum paste?

A BIG thank you! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cheriepie Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:04am
post #6 of 12

Yes, it does.
I was taught to use a dry soft pastry brush to remove any excess powder from the surface. I will be making step-by-step Basic Handling Instructions this Spring and attaching them to this Forum. Learning it from the Product Rep, made working with it so simple and effortless.
Another tip: Do not add the color directly to the fondant or gumpaste. Add a concentrated amount of color to a small piece of fondant or gumpaste then add the small piece to the fondant that you want to color in small amounts. It is easy to get the color too dark if adding it directly. icon_smile.gif
I'm very happy to share. That's how we all learn.

SugarMama5 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #7 of 12

I can't wait to read it! Thanks again for sharing what you know with me, I appreciate it!

SugarMama5 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 12

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=681515&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Cheriepie, what do you think about this thread? I was just surfing around and came across this. Some people say that cornstarch ferments fondant... What do you think?

SugarMama5 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:55am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheriepie

If you are adding the color by kneading it into the Fondant, all you will need to do, is knead in a little cornstarch to tighten it up. Icing sugar is not recommended because it is a raw sugar it will actually break it down, structurally.
Never use heat....

How much is a little? Like a tablespoonof cornstarch? More? Less?

Cheriepie Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 12

Actually, use the cornstarch like you would use flour to roll out pie pastry. Just lightly dust the table or mat that you are working on. It tightens up very quickly. You can dry it out too much, so the best way to check for cracking is: roll a piece of fondant about the size of a pencil. put it between your hands and slowly stretch it. If it sags while pulling, it is usually too wet and will probably get stretch marks on the surface when rolled out. If it stretches, without snapping, it is not overworked. It is a little difficult to describe it. Also, you want to "knead" your fondant just like you would bread dough, to develop the gums that are in it. If you mix it in a mixer, it breaks the gums.

Cheriepie Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 12

SugarMama5: I looked through the thread and I have never heard of this. In order for it to ferment, the amylolytic enzymes in corn starch need to be heated over 140 degrees, which is the temp that starch ferments. I think it is a matter of which you prefer. I was taught by the Satin Ice rep. to use cornstarch. I know people that use flour. I have never tried flour and I never will. I don't like the sticky feeling my fondant gets when I use Powdered sugar. But I will use it if I have to.

SugarMama5 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 11:00pm
post #12 of 12

Very good to know. I made a cake on the weekend and tried the cornstarch trick and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

I'm really looking forward to when you are going to put up all your handling instructions... can't wait! THANK YOU sooo much for helping me out! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%