Fondant Cupcake Toppers Melting

Baking By CookieMeister Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 8:37pm by brincess_b

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 6

I've tried this twice now and had it happen twice. First time I made fondant daisies that dried hard - I made them a week out, but after just a few hours on my cupcakes, they started sagging. I then made the pumpkin pie topper at Thanksgiving. It took a little longer (a couple of days), but they eventually started to melt.

I now want to make some with a simple heart fondant decoration on the tops but am afraid of the same thing.

I use homemade marshmallow fondant. Is this my problem? Do I need to use a different fondant?

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 6

How are you storing them? If you're storing them in an airtight container, the moisture from the cake will soften the fondant.

I use marshmallow fondant too, and it will keep its shape on top of cupcakes with no problems. I usually store the cupcakes in a cardboard box. The cake will start to dry out after a couple of days...if you need to keep them longer, keep the cupcakes in something airtight and then add the fondant toppers just before serving.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 6

how are you storing your cupcakes once they are decorated? It sounds like they're getting to much moisture and softening up again, it may just be the nature of MMF (i'm not sure as i haven't used it on top of cupcakes like this) but if you're putting them in a sealed container then they are always going to absorb the moisture and get soft. They'll still need airflow around them.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah, I use the plastic high dome cupcake containers. I was wondering if that was the problem with just MMF, or if it does that with every type of fondant? Or would i have better results with gumpaste?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 6

Texasrose and leily is right. I have had this melting problem before with store bought fondants and with the little candy corn canned also. It is the problem with no air. But store it with air and eventually the cupcake will dry out.

It is a dilemma. Air is the enemy to cupcakes, but not to fondant. Maybe you could leave your fondants decorations off til they are out on display and place them on at the last possible minute.

As for me, I don't use this kind of decoration on cupcakes any more. And I have noticed that the other cupcakeries in my area don't use it either.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 6

Gumpaste *may* hold up better, but the same thing will happen. Air tight storage is a no-no.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%