Red And Black Buttercream

Decorating By Ambar2 Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 3:24pm by genevieveyum

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to achieve a true black and red colors with out the frosting tasting bitter? Thanks in advance!!!!

8 replies
mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 9

For black I would start with chocolate BC. You don't have to add as much coloring.
For red I use the americolor or Wilton no taste red. Let the colored bc sit for a while before you use them. They tend to get deeper as they sit for a little bit.
HTH!

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 9

i usually make both those colors the day before cus the longer they sit the deeper the colors get..i only use americolor for the red cus it just might be me but the wiltons red.any of them dont get my bc red enough...almost like a very light red..so americolor works best for the red..i do use the wiltons black cus it works good for me! good luck!

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 9

If you have time to get it to you, and would ever buy pre-made, I might suggest Satin Ice for both colors. Any time I have tried to make these colors, they were unbearably sticky. Of course, I live in East Texas, so that could possibly be a factor.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:02am
post #5 of 9

Chefmaster liqua gel colors are very concentrated and you use very little. No bitter taste and no waiting for the colors to intensify. You get red-red and black instantly.

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:05am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Chefmaster liqua gel colors are very concentrated and you use very little. No bitter taste and no waiting for the colors to intensify. You get red-red and black instantly.

...where can i get that??ive never tried those before

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 9

My cake supply shop always carried an inventory of tubs or red and black BC so I was always able to buy it already mixed. I also always bought red and black fondant (never covered a whole cake with these colors, so small amounts for accents decors worked fine for me.)

If you have access to be able to buy it, I'd go that route. Well worth it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 9

Amazon has it http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VTLTI2/?tag=cakecentral-20 as well as many other online stores. Just do a google search.

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My cake supply shop always carried an inventory of tubs or red and black BC so I was always able to buy it already mixed. I also always bought red and black fondant (never covered a whole cake with these colors, so small amounts for accents decors worked fine for me.)

If you have access to be able to buy it, I'd go that route. Well worth it.

Ditto- buy the tough colors and use them sparingly. Also the tip on starting with chocolate is a good one- I use this when I'm making the super dark black/green for sushi nori on my sushi cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%